Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Turn Coat

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

Yup, Butcher still has it.

I confess, the last few Dresden books since Dead Beat have left me a little cold. Not that they weren't good, but it wasn't quite the standard of my favourites like Summer Knight and Blood Rites. It was almost as if Butcher was marking time on those instalments until he could get to this one.

While those books weren't quite as gripping, Turn Coat definitely was. It ties in a bunch of previous plot points stretching as far back as Fool Moon, and has some great setup for what's meant to be the big status quo shift in Changes. The pace is great, the prose is excellent, the snark is top notch, the characters are kick-ass, and it's just a great story overall. Also, Listens-to-Wind is one of my new favourite characters after some much-needed fleshing out here. Seriously, Injun Joe kicks ass.

If, for some reason, you're reading this review before you tackle the triplet of Proven Guilty, White Night and Small Favour, and you're finding those books a little lacking, be assured it does get better. If those books were the mid-point of Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica, where things are a little drier and unengaging, then Turn Coat is like that season's penultimate episode, with reveals and plot shifts.

Time for the finale in Changes now, I guess.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn Coat.

August 7, 2015 – Started Reading