Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Black City Saint

Black City Saint by Richard A. Knaak

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

DNF at 16%.

BLACK CITY SAINT was one of my most anticipated new UFs. With a description involving Fae, dragons, and prohibition era Chicago, how could it not be?

However . . . A lot of you already know that I majored in English, more specifically literature, and even more specifically, British literature. Most of my required reading was wonderful.

Most.

But after Chaucer's TROILUS AND CRESSIDA, my least favorite work was Spenser's THE FAERIE QUEENE. It was terribly boring, and oh so very loooooong.

Guess which book BLACK CITY SAINT has as its foundation: THE FAERIE QUEENE.

Holy knights and dragons and cat-eating wolfy changelings and BLAH.

The story itself had tremendous potential, even after I figured out (no hard task, the hints were obvious) that George was indeed St. George, but 16% felt like 40 - 50%, and I'm finding that I loathe plots focused on a cursed individual forced to relive the death of his reincarnated One True Love over and over again.

Stahp.

Jessica Signature

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black City Saint.

August 7, 2015 – Shelved
February 25, 2016 – Started Reading
February 25, 2016 –
2.0% "In what had been a tiny shadow to the right of the backyard window, a thing the size of a man but more like an arachnid with too many limbs that ended in almost human hands perched several feet above the floor.\n \n description"
April 26, 2016 – Finished Reading