Scott's Reviews > Marrow

Marrow by Preston Norton

bookshelves: fiction

Marrow is a teen-ager who is a superhero in training - he's got great scores, grades and powers so chances are really good that he'll wind up with a plum assignment in the sidekick internship program. Things go wrong on his finals and he winds up sidekick to a drunk hippie bum of a burnout superhero. That is only the beginning of the changes that Marrow is going to face.

I really enjoyed this book.

The world building is well developed and engaging. The characters, hero's, villain's and super powers are all fully formed and believable. Sure you have to suspend disbelief to a certain extent when we're talking about a comic book world but Mr. Norton doesn't stretch that disbelief too far.

We're talking about a lot of action, some romance, fights, battles, evil villains - the whole works. I've been a comic fan for about 40 years so this was right up my alley.

The book did have some problems. The twists, hooks, reveals and surprises were not surprising and in fact I guessed them ALL about 100 pages before the reveals (not a good sign for a book). Since I knew how the book was going to go and end I wasn't drawn in as much as I'd have liked - I was along for the ride and enjoying it but I wasn't totally absorbed in the world, more like watching from the sidelines.

I'd still recommend this book to most people and definitely to all comic book fans.
Good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrow.

August 7, 2015 – Shelved
September 5, 2015 –
page 88
September 5, 2015 –
page 88
29.43% "This is starting out to be extremely good - hope he can maintain the tension/action/characters."
September 7, 2015 –