Wendy Darling's Reviews > Alice

Alice by Christina Henry

This is a bizarre, violent story, one full of menace and dark magic. It's trippy the way that every Alice book should be, and full of nightmarish images and themes.

I loved it for the most part...but. BUT. I have one problem with it, and it's a pretty major one: the book is extremely rape-y. Huge trigger warning if you are bothered by sexual violence of any sort, because it's everywhere in this world, both blatant and implied, and both active and imagined.

While I've always thought most fairy tale retellings and re-imaginings could use a bit more meditation on the themes of seduction and coercion--it's in the very nature of many of the original stories, after all--I was extremely bothered by the degree of rape and abuse here.

If you are able to look past that--ugh, it pains me to even phrase this in such a way--the book is incredibly imaginative, and just what a grown-up Alice story should be. It's well-written, delightfully weird, and scatter-shot with wince-inducing horror. AND A GIANT RABBIT. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, and I'm very interested in seeing where the story goes next!

But I also am very disturbed by the rape of past, present, and possible future. And I'm bothered by the implication that all men, no matter how good, are susceptible to bring overcome by lust, even under the most horrifyingly extreme circumstances. So...mixed reactions from me because I feel so very strongly about the way women are treated in this book, and the view of men. Please note, however, the relatively high rating despite that. Probably best to judge for yourself if you're interested.

A bit more of a polish on this review at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice.

August 7, 2015 – Started Reading
August 7, 2015 – Shelved
August 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

DAISY DISNEY I can't wait for your review!!

Hannah (The Curiouser & Curiouser) Gosh, I can't explain how much I want this now.

Mari Is it terrible that despite the trigger warnings I went out and ordered this book?

I know I'm going to be up late reading this once I get my grubby little hands on it. Rape or no rape, I've read a sample and the prompt and prose flows well enough that I'm hooked.

Thanks as always, for the honest reviews! :)

message 4: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas This book sounds so polarizing yet enticing yet threatening. Great and evenhanded review, Wendy.

Acacia Ives I myself knew about the trigger warnings and went ahead and bought the book anyway but I found that the triggers themselves in the book worked in the darkness of the idea and I also found that it brought a new level of… it almost gave a new twist to the original Alice in Wonderland of what it could have meant it was very interestingly done and it's reasonably well executed I really am loving it so far

message 7: by Z (new)

Z Thanks for the warning, I was gonna by this book but have huge issues with sexual violence, so thank you.

Ronyell Awesome review Wendy! I was also a bit unsettled by the rape tones in this book.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Thank you for the trigger warning!!

message 10: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Yes, thank you. Appreciated.