Dan Schwent's Reviews > Old Man's War

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Dec 18, 2010

bookshelves: christmas-2010, sf, 2010, favorites, the-scalz
Read on December 19, 2010

John Perry enlists in the Colonial Defense Force on his 75th birthday and gets whisked off to war in a new and improved body, defending Earth's colonies against alien races. Will John be one of the few that survives his first year?

John Scalzi's blog is one of the few I've followed in 2010 and I'm pleased to say that if Old Man's War is any judge, his novels are just as entertaining as his blog.

I've been pretty omnivorous in my reading tastes the last couple of years and I think that's why I liked Old Man's War so much. While it's a sf book inspired by Heinlein's Starship Troopers, it's also really funny, somewhere between Christopher Moore and Donald Westlake's Dortmunder series. It's narrated in the first person and John Perry is a pretty funny guy.

The Scalz has a lot of great sf concepts packed into Old Man's War; you've got the new bodies the senior citizens are given upon enlisting, the beanstalk, the skip drives, alien species that aren't humanoid, the list goes on and on. While the concept of 75 year old military recruits sounds like comedy fodder, it's actually pretty well explained. Getting a new body, even though it will be repeatedly shot at, would be very tempting at 75.

There were so many things I loved about this book that I can't possibly mention them all without giving away large parts of the plot. Let's just say that this one is definitely in the top 10 of 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Man's War.

12/19/2010 page 1
05/19/2016 marked as: read
show 6 hidden updates…

message 1: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Did you hear that they are making a movie of this? Another one for the TBR pile.

message 2: by Dan (last edited Feb 25, 2011 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "Did you hear that they are making a movie of this? Another one for the TBR pile."

Kemper told me about an hour ago. I think if they do it right, Old Man's War could be a blockbuster. The rest of the series is good too.