Kay's Reviews > The Blue

The Blue by Lucy   Clarke

bookshelves: contemporary, fiction, own, mystery, suspense, thriller, travel

The Blue had been sitting on my shelves for a while, and summer felt like the perfect time to finally read it. It would also be an excellent pick to pull you out of the winter blues, delivering to you a good dose of mystery, sunny landscapes and interesting relationships.

The format is one I like as the chapters alternated between past (on the yacht) and present (where Lana, back on land, awaits news from her friends). At first I wasn’t sure it would work for the story. I wanted to go on a sea adventure, yet I felt as though Lana was tethering me to the ground. But as the story evolved, I grew to enjoy the contrast between the sea and the land, the optimistic past and the uncertain present. Between what was said and what wasn’t, the mystery grew and I needed to know more.

Another aspect I really liked was the friendship. While there is a bit of a romantic relationship, it’s not nearly as present as Lana and Kitty’s friendship. Even in the present, so many of Lana’s thoughts are concerns and regrets about Kitty. I have a hard time thinking of another thriller I would have read recently and where friendship played such a huge role. That was refreshing. And I enjoyed the other characters on the yacht too.

I do think the pacing was a bit uneven, and that parts of the plot work only because the characters conveniently don’t ask questions or talk to each other; but considering the context, that didn’t bother me too much. As for the mystery itself, I really liked it. I thought that clues and hints were dropped just at the right time. Nothing felt too obvious or predictable, and once I reached the end I felt satisfied with most answers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue.

August 5, 2015 – Shelved