Brooke (Brooke's Books and Brews)'s Reviews > And When She Was Good

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

liked it

Hmm. I really don’t have a whole lot to say about this book. First of all, I did not read the synopsis when I checked this book out at the library so I had no idea what the premise of the book was so I was surprised when I learned that Heloise was not a lobbyist but actually a madam. This is learned early on in the book. Heloise Lewis, previously Helen Lewis, grew up in an abusive household and was eventually forced to get a job to get contribute to the household bills. She eventually leaves her home and becomes involved with very bad company. Heloise gains success (in her mind, anyways) when she becomes a madam. Honestly, there’s really not much more than that but I don’t want to give away any spoilers so I will leave it at that. The story is told from Heloise’s point-of-view and really just focuses on how Heloise attempts to keep her life as a suburban stay at home mom from her life as a madam. That’s it. It’s supposed to be a thriller but honestly, the plot was just kind of bland. I think the story had definite potential. Heloise does have to watch her back from her transgressions from her former life as Helen. It was just so slow going. I was too far into it to put it down and I really was curious about what was going to happen to Heloise but by the time the big twist was revealed, I was just ready to be done with the book. I think the story just felt bogged down in many places. Learning about Heloise’s past and how she got to where she is today was interesting. Hearing about Heloise’s day-to-day life as she tries to operate as a madam and a mother in suburbia was like reading someone’s planner, only the details are more risqué. The big twist really wasn’t that surprising given that the character appeared early on but had no real ties to the story. This character would show up randomly, act oddly, and then disappear over and over again. It was easy to figure out that this person would be involved in the end since they really didn’t have a place in the rest of the story. I also had a hard time with the book because the characters really were not likeable. Many of them just got on my nerves or seemed pointless to the purpose of the story.

I will never say that a book is bad. Someone has put in a lot of effort, time, and heart into seeing their book come to fruition. I will say that a book is not my taste. While this book was a psychological thriller, which is right up my alley, the plot left something to be desired for me. I haven’t read any other of Laura Lippman’s books but I will. I don’t want to let one book that wasn’t my taste effect my view on books I haven’t read yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And When She Was Good.

August 5, 2015 – Shelved
August 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2017 – Started Reading
January 6, 2017 –
58.0% "Confession: I did not read the synopsis of this book before I started reading it so I had know idea that Heloise was a madam. I don't even think I'm really enjoying the story but at this point I am so far in that I have to know what happens. It's kind of like a train wreck....I can't look away! So many questions! I don't feel like I can DNF it because I really need some answers right now!"
January 7, 2017 – Finished Reading