Natalie's Reviews > The Bronze Horseman

Dec 18, 2010

bookshelves: 5-stars, currently-reading
Recommended to Natalie by: Liz
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Reading for the 2nd time. Most recently started December 23, 2017.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bronze Horseman.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Paullina Simons
“Oh,to be walking through Leningrad white night after white night, the dawn to dusk all smelting together like platinum ore, Tatiana thought, turning away to the wall, again to the wall, the wall, as ever. Alexander, my nights, my days, my every thought. You will fall away from me in just a while, won't you, and I'll be whole again, and I will go on and feel for someone else, the way everyone does.
But my innocence is forever gone.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana: "Why did we spend two days fighting when we could have been doing this?"
Alexander: "That wasn't fighting, Tatiana. That was foreplay.”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander, were you looking for me?"
"All my life.”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander tilted his head and kissed her deeply on the lips. He let go of her hands, and she wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing herself against him. They kissed as if in a fever... they kissed as if the breath were leaving their bodies.”

Paullina Simons
“I love you breathlessly, my amazing man.”

Paullina Simons
“You will find a way to live without me. You will find a way to live for both of us,' Alexander said to Tatiana as the swelling Kama River flowed from the Ural Mountains through a pine village named Lazarevo, once when they were in love, and young.”

Paullina Simons
“Ask yourself these three questions, Tatiana Metanova, and you will know who you are. Ask: What do believe in? What do you hope for? What do you love?”

Paullina Simons
“Good-bye, my moonsong and my breath, my white nights and golden days, my fresh water and my fire. Good-bye, and may you find a better life, find comfort again and your breathless smile, and when your beloved face lights up once more at the Western sunrise, be sure what I felt for you was not in vain. Good-bye and have faith, my Tatiana.”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander, my nights, my days, my every thought. You will fall away from me in just a while, won’t you, and I’ll be whole again, and I will go on and feel for someone else, the way everybody does.

But my innocence is gone forever.”

Paullina Simons
“I'm not hungry," Alexander whispered. "I'm famished. Watch out for me. Now, don't make a single sound," he said, moving on top of her. "Tania, God....I'll cover your mouth, just like this, and you hold on to me, just like this, and I'm going to-just like this-”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana said. "Go on with Dasha. She is right for you. She is a woman and I'm-" "Blind!", Alexander exclaimed. Tatiana stood, desolately failing in the battle of her heart. "Oh, Alexander. What do you want from me..."
"Everything", he whispered fiercely.”

Paullina Simons
“He stared at her fists and at her face and said with upset incredulity, "You promised me you would forgive me-"
"Forgive you,"Tatiana hissed through her teeth, tears streaming down her face, "for your brave and indifferent face, Alexander!" She groaned in pain. "Not for your brave and indifferent heart.”

Paullina Simons
“A bus came. The soldier turned away from her and walked toward it. Tatiana watched him. Even his walk was from another world; the step was too sure, the stride too long, yet somehow it all seemed right, looked right, felt right. It was like stumbling on a book you thought you had lost. Ah, yes, there it is.”

Paullina Simons
“Not bombs nor my broken heart can take away from me walking barefoot with you in jasmine June through the Field of Mars.”

Paullina Simons
“Soldier! Let me cradle your head and caress your face, let me kiss your dear sweet lips and cry across the seas and whisper through the icy Russian grass how I feel for you . . . Luga, Ladoga, Leningrad, Lazarevo . . . Alexander, once you carried me, and now I carry you. Into my eternity, now I carry you.

Through Finland, through Sweden, to America, hand outstretched, I stand and limp forward, the galloping steed black and riderless in my wake. Your heart, your rifle, they will comfort me, they’ll be my cradle and my grave.

Lazarevo drips you into my soul, dawn drop by moonlight drop from the river Kama. When you look for me, look for me there, because that’s where I will be all the days of my life. (Tatiana)”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander knew that before he had light instead of darkness, he had to deserve light instead of darkness.”

Paullina Simons
“If there is God, I thought...Please some day let me make love to this girl while she wears that dress." "Oh..." "Tatiasha...isn't it nice to know there is a God?”

Paullina Simons
“When Tatiana looked up from her ice cream, she saw a soldier staring at her from across the street.”

Paullina Simons
“Please don't die," she whispered. "I don't think I can bury
you. I already buried everyone else."

"How can I die," Alexander said, his voice breaking, "when you
have poured your immortal blood into me?”

Paullina Simons
“Please stop looking at me, she thought, afraid of his eyes and terrified of her own heart.”

Paullina Simons
“Dear God, Tatiana prayed in bed that night, turning to the wall and pulling the white sheet and the thin brown blanket over herself. If You are there somewhere, please teach me how to hide what I never knew how to show.”

Paullina Simons
“Love is,” she repeated slowly, looking only at Dasha, “when he is hungry and you feed him. Love is knowing when he is hungry”

“I saved you for me.”

Paullina Simons
“He sent you to redeem me, to comfort me, and to heal me—and that’s just so far,” he added with a smile.”

Paullina Simons
“There are some battles, no matter how much you don’t want to fight them, that you just have to fight. That are worth giving your life for.”

Paullina Simons
“Ask yourself these three questions, Tatiana Metanova, and you will know who you are. Ask: what do you believe in? What do you hope for? But most important - ask: what do you love?

... I know who I am, she thought, taking his hand and turning to the altar. I am Tatiana. And I believe in, and hope for, and love Alexander for life.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana: I found my true love on Ulita Saltykov-Schedrin, while I sat on a bench eating ice cream.
Alexander: You didn't find me. You weren't even looking for me. I found you.
Long pause.
Tatiana: Alexander, we're you .... looking for me ?
Alexander: All my life.”

Paullina Simons
“Alexander smoked and watched her from his tree stump bench. What are you doing? she would ask him.

Nothing, he would reply. Nothing but growing my pain into madness.”

Paullina Simons
“They had no past. They had no future. They just were.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana realized she was too young to hide well what was in her heart but
old enough to know that her heart was in her eyes.”

Paullina Simons
“Love is, to be loved,” said Alexander, “in return.”

Paullina Simons
“He came over in long pur­pose­ful strides, sat at the edge of her bed, and in a ten­der, pos­ses­sive ges­ture wiped the lip­stick off her lips. “What is that?” he asked.
“All the other girls wear it,” Ta­tiana said, quickly wip­ing her mouth, breath­less at the sight of him. “In­clud­ing Dasha.”
“Well, I don’t want you to have any­thing on your lovely face,” he said, stroking her cheeks. “God knows, you don’t need it.”

Paullina Simons
“When you die, you’ll be wearing your white dress with red roses, and your hair will be long and falling around your shoulders. When they shoot you, up on your damn roof or walking alone on the street, your blood will look like another red rose on your dress, and no one will notice, not even you when you bleed out for Mother Russia.”

Paullina Simons
“I want you to know that should something happen to me, don’t worry about my body. My soul isn’t going to return to it, nor to God. It’s flying straight to you, where it knows it can find you, in Lazarevo. I want to be neither with kings nor heroes, but with the queen of Lake Ilmen.”

Paullina Simons
“Courage, Alexan­der,” she whis­pered.
“Courage, Ta­tiana.”

Paullina Simons
“Some words were like that. Whole lives attached to them. Ghosts and lives and ecstasy and sorrow.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana...you and I had only one moment..." said Alexander. "A single moment in time, in your time and mine...one instant, when another life could have still been possible." He kissed her lips. "Do you know what I'm talking about?"
"I know that moment," whispered Tatiana.”

Paullina Simons
“She was entrenched. She had dug a trench all around herself called Alexander , and she couldn't leave.”

Paullina Simons
“Lowering his voice, he said, "In America we have a custom. When you're given presents for your birthday, you're supposed to open them and say thank you."
Tatiana nervously looked down at the present. "Thank you." Gifts were not something she was used to. Wrapped gifts? Unheard of, even when they came wrapped only in plain brown paper.
"No. Open first. Then say thank you."
She smiled. "What do I do? Do I take the paper off?"
"Yes. You tear it off."
"And then what?"
"And then you throw it away."
"The whole present or just the paper?"
Slowly he said, "Just the paper."
"But you wrapped it so nicely. Why would I throw it away?"
"It's just paper."
"If it's just paper, why did you wrap it?"
"Will you please just open my present?" said Alexander”

Paullina Simons
“Oh Alexander," she said, "what do you want from me..."
"Everything!" he whispered fiercely.”

Paullina Simons
“We can’t forget that I owe you my life.” She gazed at him. “We can’t forget that I belong to you.”
“I like that sound of that,” Alexander said, hugging her tighter.”

Paullina Simons
“Tatiana, I love you. Do you hear me? I love you like I’ve never loved anyone in my whole life. Now, get up. For me, Tatia. For me, please get up and go take care of your sister. Go on. And I’ll take care of you.” His lips kissed her cheek.”

Paullina Simons
“Shura...are you...in love with me?"
"Turn to me," Alexander said. She turned. "Tatia, I worship you. I'm crazy in love with you. I want you to marry me.”

Paullina Simons
“He is just protective over me-”
“Not protective, Tania. Consumed.”

Paullina Simons
“You are meant for great things,” she replied. “But better keep yourself alive for me, soldier, because I can’t continue to live without you.” That’s what she said, looking up into his face, her hands on his beating heart.
He bent down and kissed her freckles. “You can’t continue? My cartwheeling queen of Lake Ilmen?” Smiling, he shook his head. “You will find a way to live without me. You will find a way to live for both of us,” Alexander said to Tatiana as the swelling of Kama River flowed from the Ural Mountains through a pine village named Lazarevo, once when they were in love, and young.”

Paullina Simons
“Tania, I was spellbound by you from the first moment I saw you. There I was, living my dissolute life, and war had just started. My entire base was in disarray, people were running around, closing accounts, taking money out, grabbing food out of stores, buying up the entire Gostiny Dvor, volunteering for the army, sending their kids to camp—” He broke off. “And in the middle of my chaos, there was you!” Alexander whispered passionately. “You were sitting alone on this bench, impossibly young, breathtakingly blonde and lovely, and you were eating ice cream with such abandon, such pleasure, such mystical delight that I could not believe my eyes. As if there were nothing else in the world on that summer Sunday.”

Paullina Simons
“You are my hand grenade, my artillery fire. You have replaced my heart with yourself.”

Paullina Simons
“It wasn't this soldier's uniform that affected her, and it wasn't his looks. It was the way he had stared at her from across the street, separated from her by ten meters of concrete, a bus, and the electric wires of the tram line.”

Paullina Simons
“Through the haze in front of her she heard Alexander's voice, "Tatiana, I love you. Do you hear me? I love you like I've never loved anyone in my whole life. Now, get up. For me, Tatia. For me, please get up and go take care of your sister. Go on. And I'll take care of you." His lips kissed her cheek.”

Paullina Simons
“Tania, when I found you, I felt for that hour or two we were together - before Dimitri, before Dasha - that somemhow I was going to right my life." Alexander smiled bitterly. "I had a sense of hope and destiny that I can neither explain nor understand.”

December 18, 2010 – Shelved
June 22, 2012 – Started Reading
June 22, 2012 –
0.0% "So in spirit of Tanias birthday tomorrow I´m gonna start rereading this masterpiece tonight. Can´t wait to meet young Tatiana and Alexander again!"
June 22, 2012 –
19.0% ""what doo I do? Do I take the paper of?" "yes. You tear it of." "And then what?" and then you throw it away." The whole present or just the paper?" Just the paper." But you wrapped it so nicely. Why would i throw it away?" it's just paper." If it's just paper, why did you wrap it?" would you please open my present?" LOL"
June 23, 2012 –
19.0% "I had forgot how fucking amazing this book is. I can't love it more. Just wish that someone could come and shoot the evil that is Dimitri!"
June 23, 2012 –
34.0% "This is even more wonderful the second time around. The best book .So beautiful, so many emotions. I keep seeing Henry Cavill a Shura, will this ever be a movie?"
June 24, 2012 –
37.0% "I love how protective Alexander is of Tatiana. but Tania is right, I can't believe how NOT meant to be they are. But I love them both,"
June 24, 2012 –
37.0% ""I don't wanna die, and not feel just once what you feel." makes me cry every time. Heartbreakingly sad part now."
June 25, 2012 –
58.0% ""Alexander went to Lazarevo on faith." Finally some happyness."
June 25, 2012 –
70.0% "Alexander is so damn funny."
June 26, 2012 –
73.0% "Alexander is making me laugh out loud. He is hilarious!!!!! This part is making me happy, but sad too...cause it is not gonna last :((("
June 26, 2012 –
78.0% ""Knowing you're safe is the only chanse I have of staying alive. I will make my way back to you, but you have to be safe""
June 26, 2012 –
80.0% "Oh god, the letters Shura and Tania writes eachother is breaking my heat. i am crying so hard right now. \n "i want you to know that should something happen to me. Don't worry about my body, my soul isn't going to return to it, nor to Good. It's flying straight to you where it knows it can find you. In Lazarevo....""
June 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 27, 2012 –
85.0% ""I hate to point out the obvious in a time like this, but still...I need to point out that i was completely right. That's all." LOL!!"
June 28, 2012 –
89.0% ""After I"m out of here I'm getting a divorce." LOL. Alexander, I love you and your humor!"
June 28, 2012 –
92.0% "This part hurts to read. Why does Dimitri have to come and ruin everything, why?"
July 1, 2012 –
99.0% ""Tatisha, remember Orbeli." My heart. Is broken. Tears are flowing.four years, four years..."
January 8, 2015 –
90.0% "I believe I will never again in my life read anything so epic, breathtaking and unforgettable as this triology and that thought is quite depressing. Thank God for The Bridge to the Holy Cross and The Summer Garden."
July 14, 2015 – Shelved as: epic
November 18, 2015 – Shelved as: incomparable
January 28, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-stars
December 23, 2017 – Started Reading
December 29, 2017 –
20.0% "What can be better than to end/start the year with my book- love of my life? 💔❤️"
January 7, 2018 –

Diane Wonderful review and I agree!!

Natalie Thanks, have you read the two other books?

Diane Of course! That trilogy is my utmost favorite and I've read them all at least three times. I've read TBH more times than I can count. I cherish that book so much! :)

Natalie Me too, they are my bibles :) I am not quite done with the last one (TSG) yet becouse I am trying to prolong it, I don´t want it to end :) have you read The Girl In Times Squere? I have heard it has an epic love story too? if you have, what did you think?

Diane No, I've only read the TBH books by Paullina Simons. I have heard it's good but not as good. I guess I didn't think anything could top TBH so I never bothered. But I may one day! Yes they my book bibles too :)

Natalie I have only reaad TBH series so far, and Tully and Red Leaves, and I really think you should read them. I love them both, Tully is really, really good. And if you wanna read Girl in time squere, you should read Red Leaves first, it is a kind of prequel.
Love Paullinas writing style in both books, can´t wait for her next book to come out :)

Jennifer Lane Alexander is my favorite book boyfriend. I love the adjectives you use to describe him. He's sooooo sexy! But I don't know who Christian, Kellan, and Travis are?

Natalie 50 shades, Thoughtless and Beautiful disaaster :)

Jennifer Lane Ahh. All books I haven't read yet, obviously. Do you see Alexander as a Dom?

Natalie What? no!

Jennifer Lane LOL. I know The Bronze Horseman isn't written as a BDSM story and he's not a Dom--I just think at least 2(?) of the heroes you compared him to are. So I wondered if you saw anything in him that was Dom-like. I don't, but wondered if you did.

message 12: by Natalie (last edited Apr 30, 2012 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie it is just christian who is a dom, but i don´t see anyhing in alexander thet is dom-like, the comparison is maybe his good looks and tragic childhood.

Jennifer Lane Got it!

message 14: by Lucia (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucia Wow lovely review, seems exactly like my cup of tea. I have to read this one!

Aestas Book Blog Best love story ever written!! So glad you loved it :)
*dreamy sigh* Alexander...

Are you going on to book 2?? Its amazingggg. I cried even more in book 2 than I did in book 1! ...and book 2 doesn't end on a cliffhanger :)

Natalie I read all three. Best books ever. And book 2 is a m a z i n g, just like book three. I just ordered the HARDcopy of book two from amazon :))))) aaand, the gift edition of book one from australia, squeeee! !!! Only book three left to get in hardcover.

Aestas Book Blog LOL ok thats what I thought, I just noticed the date of the review so I got confused :)

I need to do a re-read soon.... I can't stay away from these books for too long :)

Natalie Me neither, i'm planning on rereading them this summer...

Kristin (KC) Beautiful review!! I know how much you love this series and I am so excited to read it! I'm waiting for my sister (who wants to buddy read these with me) to pick up this book, and then I'm going to
start. It's so great to see how much you adore these books! Your past review made me add this, so thanks in advance bc I just know I'm going to love this series, as well!! ;)

Natalie Thanlk you so much! Allthough i am sure it has many many mistakes :((( i suck at reviews...

I just finished tbh yesterday and the funny thing is that i loved it so much more this time and i don't know what do Read now, this is so much better then any other books i have read so everything else i tried just bore me now....

But read it!!! I can't wait to see if you love it as much as i do... and if you love tania and alexander. They are both my favorite caracters EVER.

Tomoe-Aurelia I can't wait to read this one !
I've ordered the book, I hope I'll receive it soon :)

Natalie Can't wait to hear what you'll think. I'll hope you'll love it as much as I do!!

♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ Talk about crying...I cried so much during the reading of this book! In fact I'm embarrassed to say that I started choking up when I read the "goodbye my moonsong" quote! TBH is without doubt one of, if not the best love story ever written!

Natalie It is def in the top two for me. I cried like a baby reading this book too...

message 25: by ♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ (last edited Jul 17, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ I've just bought all three books again for my iPad when I first read these there was NO such thing as iPad!! I want to be able to walk around with them all....electronic buying is dangerous one click and ta ta, you've spend money you shouldn't!!

Jennifer Lane It used to be tough to find these books in the U.S. so I'm happy about their widespread availability with digital copies, but you're right that the ease of one click buying is dangerous. ;)

message 27: by ♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ (last edited Jul 17, 2012 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ Actually Jennifer, I read your comment earlier regarding Alexandre being a Dom? And I do think he had Dom tendencies..especially in book 3. He might not be tying Tatiana up and using floggers but for all intents and purposes he is her Dominant....

Jennifer Lane Sofia, interesting. I think Alexander's a bit emotionally abusive in book 3, and it was painful to read because you know he doesn't want to be that way but he's so scarred from his past that he can't stop himself. He certainly teaches Tatiana a lot about sex and is very "assertive", but I don't really see him as a Dom.

♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ I totally agree, it was a very very difficult read....especially on the back of the previous books, it was heartbreaking, and I mentioned this in my review of the book. But isn't a Dominate's primary characteristic, away from the sexual elements, a need to control? From what I can remember and it has been a while since I read the final book, Alex's views of Tatiana's job, how she dressed, who she socialized with were all "hard limits" for him? And I'd go further...because i like a good debate! :-) From my recollections wasn't he always (book1-2) a bit controlling within the limits put upon them by their circumstances? Don't get me wrong Alexander will always been one of my favourite romantic heroes but....Mmmm? I think this might call for another re-read to flesh out my tentative theory. LOL Any excuse!

Jennifer Lane Ha ha! It's been a while since I've read these, and I don't know a lot about BDSM, so I'm not the most educated commenter on this subject. Those details you point out do sound somewhat dominant. You also have to take into account the era, when stereotypical gender roles were much firmer, and the age difference between A & T. As I recall, I remember Tatiana as very strong in her own right--gets her way through less direct means some of the time. Is it true that some heterosexual couples tend to flip roles as they age, where the woman takes on more strength in the relationship? That's how I saw it happening. Alexander's always physically strong but Tatiana's the one who keeps them together.

Jennifer Lane Poor Natalie is probably ruing my initial BDSM question!

♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎ LOL! I am nothing if not an instigator!

Karen Love Love Love this book!!!!!!!!!!

Natalie Yeeey!!

Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads Amazing review. I just got the pre order eBook that they had. Can't wait to read it.

Natalie Yes yes yes. YOU HAVE TO READ IT!!! My fav hero and herine EVER and the BEST AND MOST INTENSE LOVE STORY!!

Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads Natalie wrote: "Yes yes yes. YOU HAVE TO READ IT!!! My fav hero and herine EVER and the BEST AND MOST INTENSE LOVE STORY!!"

Ok after I finish The Coincidence and Callie and Kayden I'll read this. I should be ready to start it tomorrow!!!

Renee You MUST read Tully. I have read tons and by far that is my fave book of all time.

Natalie I have. I loved it too :) Paullina is such a great writer!!

Pinkcaramel Natalie, thanks soooooo much for recommending this to me!!!! I've no words how much I love love love this book!!! This is and will always be my favourite and also Alexander and Tatiana!!!

Natalie I am SO happy you love it as much as I do!!!! I have no words either for this amazing book..

message 42: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki I won't lie. I just read this review and literally am in tears. This book encompasses every single emotion known to a human being. As you can see, I can't even read a review without hyperventilating. Best love story, hero, and main character. Tatiana and Alexander are my favorite! Beautiful, beautiful review.

Sønia I agree with every word you wrote in your awesome review. The bronze horseman trilogy is the most beautiful love story in the world. And Tatiana and Alexander the most amazing characters ever. I've reread this story a few times and the most incredible thing of all is that every time I do it I still get thrilled. But as much as we all say about this book is not enough... So all those who have not read this story yet don't wait any longer... go, read, feel and enjoy :)

message 44: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Sonia wrote: "I agree with every word you wrote in your awesome review. The bronze horseman trilogy is the most beautiful love story in the world. And Tatiana and Alexander the most amazing characters ever. I've..."

I still can't bring myself to reread it! The quotes and passages get me too emotional...but I think I need to suck it up and do it soon.

And yes, nothing we can say will EVER really explain this book.

Natalie DO IT Nikki, I actually loved it even more the 2nd time, if that is possible...:)

Sonia- thank you so much!! I am glad you love this amazing book as much as I do!

Pinkcaramel I am rereading it now..cant seems to stop thinking about it...love love!!!

message 47: by Natalie (last edited Feb 19, 2013 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalie Pinkcaramel wrote: "I am rereading it now..cant seems to stop thinking about it...love love!!!"

I know the feeling, no matter how many times i read it it will always be my favorite book, probably with Twilight and Effortless. Enjoy!!

Natalie OMG!!! It is finally happening. My favorite book in the entire world is becoming a movie, AND the author herself has written the screenplay. It is gonna be EPIC!! I can´t breathe. I am just sad that Henry Cavill is probably out as Alexander :(

message 49: by Pinkcaramel (last edited Mar 13, 2013 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pinkcaramel Oh really really really???? OH MY GOD, I AM SO HAPPY!!! Can't wait for the entire world to know just how epic this love story is!!!!! I am re-reading Summer Garden now, as I am reading this news from you!!! Unbelieveable!!! Nobody will ever be good enough to play the perfect Alexander, just like nobody will Kellan!!!!

Natalie Yes, IT is THE MOST FANTASTIC NEWS EVER!!! I just hope they don´t screw it up like they did Twilight (for the most part) but i doubt it since it is PS who has written the sceipt. Check out her webpage for their pontential Shura and more info.

« previous 1 3 4