C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Impostor Queen

The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine

Aug 05, 2015

bookshelves: 5-star, epic-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, best-of-2016

Oh oh OHHHH IT IS TIME FOR ME TO SHRIEK MY LOVE FOR THIS MAGNANIMOUS NOVEL. I seriously...omg, I cannot even right now. For the first 100 or so pages I thought it was 3-stars? Then 4...and now look it's FIVE WHOLE STARS AND I AM FLAILING LIKE A DERANGED GRAPE. It was amazing (obviously) and suffocatingly marvellous. I actually forgot time as I was reading it. Yup. That is how sold I am.

But I need the sequel so so bad and daaaaang it WHY DO I START SERIES THAT AREN'T ALL OUT YET?!?! #bookwormproblems

I was also mildly worried about this book, when I started, because I didn't love Sarah Fine's Of Metal and Wishes or Scan. I mean, meh? But The Impostor Queen was SO DIFFERENT and SO AMAZING and, gah.

Okay, okay, I'M GONNA LIST REASONS WHY I LOVED IT SO MUCH:
(All my reviews are lists these days?? I'm not even sorry??)

It is an epic fantasy of EPIC PROPORTIONS. I usually find YA fantasies lacking in world building? buT NOPE. I loved the details of the world and how large it was and how freaking awesome.

It also has an intriguingly interesting magic system. It does use elements? Which usually bore me because eeeverybody does it. BUT THIS DOES IT DIFFERENTLY. You either have a little bit of ice or fire or both...and if you have both you can balance them and be fabulous. The queen (Valtia) is like THE most powerfully balanced weilder in the world. EXCEPT OF COURSE ELLI DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER. (That's in the blurb, so not a spoiler.) Aka, she's the "Impostor" because she has exactly zero magic.

• Also I liked the twist on the "chosen one". Elli still sort of IS? But not in the way everyone thinks.

Elli, herself, I admit wasn't the best. She was strong and brave and honourable and hard working and relatable -- YES. But she didn't particularly stand out to me? (I think I just like sassy characters too much and she wasn't???)

ALSO I FREAKING LOVE QUEEN BOOKS. I wanna be queen. So that's probably why. (Although not a Valtia. They like DIE YOUNG because of all the magic they have to do.)

And the actual story line?!? NEVER BORED. NEVER. It's slowish at the beginning but so so interesting. And omg it has wicked end-of-chapter-cliff-hangers. I seriously spent half my time going "I'm stopping after this chapter"...only to read like half the ENTIRE BOOK because I could stop. Couldn't stop I tell you. It has survivals and torture and ceremonies and running and freezing and wars and rebels and bandit caves and gahhhh SO MUCH STUFF OF AWESOME.

• Okay, so I admit this is slightly weird...But at times I felt it was like Disney's Frozen, remade violent and YA??! I mean, that IS weird right?! But in a totally good way, I PROMISE. They wield ice and there have this horrifically dangerous winter and they can't always control their magic. JUST LIKE ELSA. <3 Ahem. Also the names and things all felt rather Slavic...which I liked.

A quick note on the names? Okay at the beginning I was like "Wahhhh WHAT EVEN" because they're all quite weird. But still edible. There are different words for the queen (Valtia) and then the people are call the Kapari, and the enemy is the Soturi. I think I've got all that right. And then the characters are named stuff like: Elli, Oskar, Sig, Freya, Maarika, Tuuli, Aira, Raimo, Kukka, Senja. But I handled it.

And a moment for the adorableness that is OSKARRRRRR. Okay Oskar is like a moody bear, but he's so kind and sweet and TRAGIC. Yes, he has a tragic backstory. And he cares for his mother and sister like nothing else. AND HE'S SO AFJDKALFSD ADORABLE. His and Elli's romance is slow and complex and never over powers the actual story. Like they're both actually focused on FIGHTING first? Kissing second?

• Which actually leads me, though, to the only part I'm still confused about. It kind of indicates that Elli liked her maid Mim...more? Like...gawsh, it was random and it didn't FIT and I was confused. Like maybe Elli is bisexual? I've seen other people mention it. But it didn't work for me because she held Mim's hand and said she loved Mim but it never felt more than friendship love to me. SO IDEK. Elli and Oskar's romance was so firmly wonderful I'm just shipping that with no worries.

DID I MENTION SIG THE DARLING YET?!? Okay Sig is not a darling. He is like a raging inferno that likes to bust into flames. Temper temper. Obviously he has tons of fiery magic and he and Elli clash because he clashes with Oskar. But he and Oskar grew up together?? LIKE I WANT A BOOK ON THEIR BACKSTORY YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU. I loved Sig because he was hot-tempered, tortured, and passionate. And (view spoiler) I endlessly love Sig, okay?! Okay.

• Omg, I'm exhausting myself with all this intense fangirling.

• I'm actually exhausted because I LOVE THE BOOK SO MUCH. (Epic fantasy is like MA THING and so when it is super good it just makes my day.)

So basically this book is excellent. It's well written, it's exciting, it's unique and it takes things one sees all the time in epic fantasy and just makes it NEW AND DIFFERENT. The cast is amazing. Like ALL the characters are fleshed out and complex?!? There are plot twists galore and freaktastic descriptions you can't look away from. TORTURE AND BLEEDING. And also MAGIC AND MAYHEM. It is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2016.

• This book, dudes. THIS BOOK.

*collapses because loves it so much*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impostor Queen.

August 5, 2015 – Shelved
August 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 1, 2016 – Started Reading
February 1, 2016 –
30.0% "Because um, THIS IS ACTUALLY BRILLIANT."
February 2, 2016 –
62.0% "I keep saying "I'll stop after this chapter and get some stuff done"....AND YET HERE I AM. DEVOURING HALF THE BOOK IN ONE SITTING."
February 2, 2016 –
90.0% "I AM SO SO CLOSE TO THE END BY MY EYES ARE TOO TIRED. I MUST STOP. I'M CRYING. THIS IS SO GOOD."
February 2, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 19, 2016 – Shelved as: best-of-2016

Ivy Bookqueen Awesome review Grace
I want to be queen too

C.G. Drews @Ivy: We have excellent goals in life. *nods*

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ Well now I suddenly feel like I need this book. Like right now! So off to Amazon I go lol

Ivy Bookqueen Yeah but that is a fantasy dream but i also think queens have too much work to care of princess are fun getting what ever you wish

message 5: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Ark I'm a huge fan of Sarah Fine so happy to hear this one is good too! :)

helen❣️ WOW. I'm about to read this book, so now I'm even more excited!

Tandie I just got this Ebook & your review is giving me happy feels! I'm a SF fan, but I wasn't crazy about her adult series.

message 8: by Kailey (new) - added it

Kailey Lol like a deranged grape

C.G. Drews @Cindy: YOU DO. TRUST ME.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Daniela: I think this is her finest (HAR HARHAR ... ahem) work...mind you, I've only read two of her other books and I think she has many?

@Helen: *cheers* I hope you like it!

@Tandie: EEEEP. I read it as an ebook too. So much love for this incredibleness. <3

@Kailey: XD THAT IS ME.

message 11: by evi (new) - added it

evi This review is just amazing and epicly flail-worthy. BUT THIS BOOK SOUNDS SO COOL.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews IT IS. TRUST ME. YOU NEED IT.

Tandie Do you want to build a snowman? Oh my gosh, I just finished this book and your review perfectly captures all my feels. I want to coerce all my friends to read it so we can spazz out together!

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Tandie: YES. Make everyone read this incredible book!! XD

ClaireEva I haven't read your review yet because I don't want to spoil anything but I just bought this book the other day so I'm delighted to find out you loved it!

message 17: by Cora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cora Hey Cait, nice review! You mentioned queen books, which happen to be a favourite of mine, too, and I loved Impostor Queen, but as not all the books are there yet I was wondering if maybe you could recommend me a few other queen books? I already read the Tearling series and I need more, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Eve: Oh sure! I love recommending books! So there's The Star-Touched Queen, Ruined, The Exiled Queen, The Orphan Queen, The Shadow Queen (I haven't read it yet but I bought it and it's on my TBR!) and also Princess of Thorns!

message 19: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Salayová After seeing your review I immediately bought it :D It sounds right up my alley!

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Andrea: Omg that's so awesome to hear!! I hope you love it! :D

message 21: by Mironiel (new) - added it

Mironiel Blokzyl AHH I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK SO BAD

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Mironiel: YES YOU DO. IT'S SO GOOD.

Laura Yes! I am absolutely loving this book too, can't put it down, great review. Btw, what does AFJDKALFSD stand for?

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Laura: It's a keyboard smash. 😂Just fangirling!

Ritta I just finished reading this book and I'm feeling the YA Frozen retelling with more violence, it's actually such an accurate description!

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ritta: Ahhh it was so good right?!?

Ritta C.G. wrote: "@Ritta: Ahhh it was so good right?!?"

It really was, now i want the next one!!