Victoria Phelps's Reviews > The Young Elites

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

17820483

This book was surprisingly dark. I should've seen it coming, since other reviews say the same thing, but it was even darker than I expected.
The main character, Adelina, is a villain. But she's a very complex, disoriented villain and I can't help but relate. Which is scary, of course, because this is a girl who rather enjoys killing people. The rest of the cast--Enzo, Violetta, Raffaele, Teren, etc.--are complex, too. As always, Marie Lu does a great job with characterization.
The world itself is simplistic--basically, most people are afraid of malfettos (young adults with scars from the blood fever) and other people support them because they pose a threat to the current king and queen. I wish there was a little more to the rest of the world, since the novel focuses on the malfettos alone and I know Lu could work with a more complex world. This is the first in a series, though; there's always a chance the other books will do more world-building. And, as the ending hinted, we have another kingdom to explore still.
Some of the writing itself felt a little off to me. Like why was Adelina always "trembling"? If she was mad, she would tremble. If she was in love, she would tremble. If she was afraid, she would tremble. I don't remember physically trembling at anything in my life, and it seems unnatural that Adelina would do it so often. Then again, I'm not a superhuman who, in part, enjoys killing people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Young Elites.

Finished Reading