Bee's Reviews > Blackmail Boyfriend

Blackmail Boyfriend by Chris  Cannon

bookshelves: arc, books-i-own-ebook, review-request, contemporary, love-it, romance, young-adult

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

Well, I certainly did not expect this. To be honest, my expectations of this one were quite low since I wasn't the biggest fan of the author's other book Going Down in Flames. But this one surprised me. I ended up reading it in one sitting until 3am. I may have lost a couple of hours of sleep, but it was worth it.

When Haley Patterson arrives at school one morning hearing rumors she's hooked up with the popular Bryce Colton during the weekend, she has no idea what's going on. Turns out Bryce hooked up with another girl named Haley, one with a boyfriend. Haley makes a deal with Bryce. He plays the role of her boyfriend as to not hurt her reputation and maybe let other boys know they can date her without having to be scared of her brothers. In exchange, she helps him keep the other Haley's boyfriend from hurting him and keep his ex-girlfriend away. But Haley and Bryce seem to be complete opposites and at first it doesn't seem like it would ever work out. And then somehow, slowly, things start changing between them.

Okay, this was nothing mind-blowing. I wasn't wow-ed by this book. But I did really enjoy it a lot and it was swoon-worthy for sure. Haley and Bryce did annoy me at first but they grew on me and they changed over the course of this book. Their romance was very sweet and perfectly paced, in my own humble opinion. I didn't really love how things ended, it seemed somewhat rushed. I loved Jane, she was an awesome best friend, and Nathan too, surprisingly. He's a spoiled rich kid and he's not afraid to admit that. I wasn't always the biggest fan of the parents and Bryce's dad is still an ass, but Haley's mom really redeemed herself and she had a reason for her strange behavior. I also liked Haley's brothers!

I don't know what else to say about this one really. It surprised me, it really did. If you're a contemporary fan, definitely check this one out. You may not like it as much as I did, sure, but maybe you love it even more than I do. Who knows? Give it a shot, it certainly deserves it.

sign

This review is also (or -soon- will be) posted on Istyria book blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackmail Boyfriend.

August 5, 2015 – Started Reading
August 5, 2015 – Shelved as: books-i-own-ebook
August 5, 2015 – Shelved as: review-request
page 17
page 153
57.3% "So far this isn't mind-blowing or anything but I am really enjoying so far. Surprisingly."
page 182