Mohammed Arabey's Reviews > Armada

Armada by Ernest Cline

So, July, 14 2015 couldn't be any more accurate release date for "ARMADA"

I mean,
March, 24 2015
The X-Files
'Worldwide Popular 90s TV Series Started 1993' returns in new 6 episodes next year, after 13 years since it ended.

April, 20 2015
Independence Day: Resurgence
, sequel to major 1996 international blockbuster, began filming 20 years since the first one.

& to Sci-Facts..
July, 14 2015
Pluto
, the planet..finally got close-up images & detailed observations of it and its moons.
July, 23 2015
Earth 2.0
announced by NASA. Kepler-452b, A planet discovered very similar to Earth and potentially habitable.

And with a very clever plot, with decent and some mind blowing twists, here comes Armada.. Mixing other Sci-Fiction Novels, Movies and Video Games and their releasing dates with Sci-Facts and a HUGE conspiracy theory..

First I have to admit that's I'm not a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Ender's Game ,even Battleship and all space fight kind of crap "Ooops sorry fans".. I'm not even a good devoted gamer..
But still I'm a geek kinda way..
I mean I'm a huge fan of The X-Files and the Conspiracy Theories about Aliens. And I'm okay with Independence Day's main plot without much of crap video games fights.. just what serve the plot.

I want to Believe, but I'm not willing to live in a video game worlds and unrealistic space and UFO fight crab... Just Want to Believe....

***** The Story begans with Zack Lightman, a high school student, spotting a flying saucer while staring out his classroom window..

'What's the hell...it started just like that? Is he sure he wasn't just starting at a poster in Fox Mulder's office?
Okay, first chapter and I'm outta here. And won't rate it, it wouldn't be fair. Future with Aliens goofing around is NOT my type of read..

Back to Chapter 1

Then,we see that Zack has a pretty good backstory, he's likeable and interesting character to read...
And, most importantly, Turns out spotting a flying saucer is unusal and kinda crazy in the world of the story
That is good for me..So why not reading another chapter?

Zack thinking he gone mad like his geeky father who passed away at the age 19, Zack may never remember him alive, he died when Zack was less than a year old..

He goes into his father old possessions and re-read a note that made him disturbed before..
it seems that his father was connecting since the 70s till his passing away in 1999 every sci-fi blockbuster movies,Aliens invasion novels and space wars games releasing dates, and connecting it with interesting conspiracy theories about it. Specially with a very good use of an urban legend about video gaming machines.

His father thought that the Military or NASA preparing people by these movies and novels for the news that we are not alone in the universe.. and we may have Alien Invasion....soon!!!!!
AND all the games and tracking the top players is to train a new army of Gamers..to be real Soliders..

And that's what I did at the beginning of the review...connecting the dots just like Zack's Father notes.. oh and here's more..

April 16, 2015
Star Wars
is baaaaack, 2nd Trailer for the third trilogy that will hit cinemas next December after 10 years since the end of the second trilogy.
April 20, 2015
Star Wars Anthology
for next year release in another side story of Star Wars Universe...

And don't forget Gravity 2013, Interstellar 2014 ..the Oscar's sweethearts who will get a new bro, The Martian 2015...
YEAH I'm getting paranoid just like Zack's father...Thank you very much Ernest Cline.

So , to get raid of these crazy thoughts that he saw a flying saucer, he decided to stop gaming for few days..
He plays Armada.. a worldwide Earth Vs. Aliens online multiplayer game..
but he just must do one big mission to keep his top 10 rank before his short quitting...a mission to destroy the Alien planet..the EDA 'Earth Defense Alliance' depends on them.

Long story short, the mission failed ... and Zack finds out the day after that his father was right...they are not controlling Drones in Armada Game...they controlling it in real life War....Organized by EDA...which now really depends on the real gamers....all around the world.

*****************
That was the first few chapters 'Phase One' of thks amazingly written novel..

And man , oh man.. I'm not space gamer at all and get bored of watching one in the Star Wars movies , sorry fans again, BUT the way Ernest wrote it in phase one was more than interesting and get me hooked with the story..
It is way better with more convincing plot by using remote Drones , like controlling space ships and Big robots by your home PC, taplets, or gaming devices.

And what I loved more the deeper message and moral of the story..

Humanity and Wars
I love how the novel profiling how wars begins...how it's always stars with minor or stupid misunderstanding...
All war is deception.
If we don't end war, war will end us

With perfect mix of lovable characters, nostalgic memories full of songs, movies and novels you find that you're really fighting with them for humanity... no matter how the fight gets bigger and bigger...you're in..
Even if you're, like me , not a gamer at all, you'll love to read it..and play.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Plot twists, and I loved using mature characters, since I'm sick of YA with all the main characters are 14 to 16. The rest are useless.

Having a religious positive character, and making clear that religion is not far from our real world was beyond awesome, since I feel sick that all characters in other novels just don't believe in God or anything.
There was an unnecessary gay relation but that's okay.

By the end...I was so teary and emotionally touched ...I loved it so much, I loved all the twists and characters...
I doubt if I need a part 2...But this one was really perfect with awesome ending..I Loved it..

And now , I'm already feeling nostalgic to the Armada game..EDA..The Moon Base..and Mr.Lightman's mix tape.

The latter reminds me much with Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy..but that's okay, I liked him too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

I'd never bought this novel if I've read the plot..or even the first couple of lines 'the flying saucer :)'.I'd thought it'd be teenager vs aliens kind of game..
I just bought it cause it released first time in Egypt at the same international release day, which happens to be my birthday 'BTW thank you Cherry Blossom Books'
Also there's excellent praise for the author's debut novel..how geeky and nostalgic he is 'which apply to me as well kinda way'...
And I now so glad that I got it.. Ernest is really talented geeky author and successfully got me into his game..
I am not a gamer and not Sci-Fi big fan...But Armada become one of my very favourite read this year, and may be all time too..

Many pitching around 'Ready Player One' was better, but why comparing? I didn't read it yet but now I'm more than exciting to read it too.

Till we play again in Ready Player One..

Mohammed Arabey
Playing
from 5 August 2015
to 9 August 2015

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armada.

August 5, 2015 – Started Reading
August 5, 2015 – Shelved
August 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 5, 2015 –
page 0
0.0% "I'm not a Sci-Fi fan\n I'm not a gamer\n \n But I'm a bit nerd, geek, so I heard is the author...\n many praised well his first 'Ready Player One', so I give a try for Armada...hope it's good. \n The only reason I get it by ghe way was that it released in my birthday :)"
August 5, 2015 –
page 70
19.72% "First Chapter , That's dull as hell for me ,I'm not a fan of that...and apparently it will be just alien vs teenager story ...\n \n Second chapter...wow, mind blowing geek was Zack's father..I loved his journal..and start to really like Zack..\n and start to feel the story is really promising ...and it's just the perfect time to read it...\n \n can't wait to know how Phase One will End and start Phase 2 tomorrow ISA"
August 6, 2015 –
page 134
38.4% " \n The perfect use of a Conspiracy Theory to build the plot of a Alien Invasion is really interested me more than I expected. \n I guess it may , if all went well, be one of my favourite reads for this year. \n although I am not a fan of Star Wars, Star Trek ..or even Ender's Game."
August 7, 2015 –
page 205
58.74% "Come on for the God's Sake..... I was playing A space attack game by reading this novel...I'm not into that BUT the writing is smooth and interesting..\n \n And Zack is actually lovable , although he reminds me much of Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy but younger..\n \n Anyway..I'm still waiting for more twists I guess it will have some more than what already happened :)"
August 8, 2015 –
page 295
84.53% "I remember when I bought this book I said if it will have "Space VS Earth" wars more than 2 pages I'm gonna skip it with no regret..\n \n God , How am I s attached to over 50 pages of war AND can't get enough ... I'm living it .\n \n I loved it so far...\n End of Phase Two with cliffhanger..and to the final Phase tomorrow ISA"
August 9, 2015 –
page 355
100.0% "Oh man , the last phase ...oh man oh man oh man.\n I love it , I love the book ,I love the plot ....I LOVE THE ARMADA'S SPACE INVADE PLOT Better than any other I've every watch or read...\n \n Man I never thought the ending would be that good , and have this very interesting point about humans..\n \n WOW , must do Arabic-English Review...may be two :)"
August 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Redeagl (new)

Redeagl I hate star wars and star trek too but ender's game is awesome

Mohammed Arabey Redeagl wrote: "I hate star wars and star trek too but ender's game is awesome"

Can you imagine now that I'm not even interesting in watching Ender's Game..and I hate Star Wars and Star Trek ...BUT I LOVE ARMADA
I'm crazy about the plot
trust me you should try it
and PS: many says it's a bit like Ender's Game .. :) but more convincing

message 3: by Redeagl (new)

Redeagl Mohammed wrote: "Redeagl wrote: "I hate star wars and star trek too but ender's game is awesome"

Not all the people likes ender's game as to Armada plot is my number 1 priority with the chracters so if you are saying that it's plot is that good then I will give it a go.But there is something weird about me in terms of books I don't like stand-alones very much I like a big series more and the bigger the seriea I like it more and more but I will read Armada :)

message 4: by Redeagl (new)

Redeagl Oh and BTW I thought you would want to know that I am a big gamer (playstation more precisely but I hate sports games.)

Cherry Blossom Books We're glad you enjoyed the book. It sounds really interesting. Will bump it up on our TBR pile. Thank you for the mention :D
P.S. you should give the original Star Wars trilogy a chance. It's really good.

Mohammed Arabey Cherry Blossom Books wrote: "We're glad you enjoyed the book. It sounds really interesting. Will bump it up on our TBR pile. Thank you for the mention :D
P.S. you should give the original Star Wars trilogy a chance. It's reall..."

You're welcome ,you should be mentioned at 85 to 90% of the reviews for novels I read :)...you're the main source :)

I already thinking about that specially with a new third trilogy coming up soon , I saw Phantom Menace and the part that followed and can't hate it more :))))
I guess I'll go to the Original trilogy first next time

message 7: by وليد (new)

وليد الأشوح what's wrong with starwars, man :)?

Mohammed Arabey وليد wrote: "what's wrong with starwars, man :)?"

I KNOW ,weird right? :)
Let's face it , Star Wars popularity in Egypt is not like it is worldwide...We here like Superhero movies, LOTR and Harry Potter much more than Star Wars -you can see that in the cinema releases back in 2002,2005 LOTR and HP 5 beat it so hard in the Egyptian Box office..

BUT not many say it out loud "I don't like Star Wars" right :) , well ..I am
may be...may be that's because I only watched Star Wars I :Phantom Menace and II Attack of the Clones .. many say it's not like the original trilogy :)
But again , I don't like how the old trilogy look like :) But I may give it a try soon ,and who knows :)

Mohammed Arabey BUT I love The X-Files , it's not high Sci-Fi like Star Wars.. in fact I adore the theme of X-Files and the conspiracy theories in it.

message 10: by وليد (new)

وليد الأشوح Mohammed wrote: "وليد wrote: "what's wrong with starwars, man :)?"

I KNOW ,weird right? :)

i watch the old trio when i was young and i was amazed but that's cuz i love sci fi since childhood alot of ppl don't care much for these type of movies and thats ok ...i guess :D

Mohammed Arabey وليد wrote: "Mohammed wrote: "وليد wrote: "what's wrong with starwars, man :)?"

I KNOW ,weird right? :)

But in US and UK it's a big deal , like it the holy movie of all sci-fi

message 12: by Draziza (new)

Draziza Ali any way that must be fantastic !

Mohammed Arabey Draziza wrote: "any way that must be fantastic !"

It's really really fun
I loved it

Mohammed Arabey Draziza wrote: "any way that must be fantastic !"

It's really really fun
I loved it

message 15: by Draziza (new)

Draziza Ali i were already hope that ☺

message 16: by Clarita (new)

Clarita "After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality". It's just like me:).I'll try it out.

Mohammed Arabey Clarita wrote: ""After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality". It's just like me:).I'll try it out."

Well I thought I'd never like over sci-fi fantasy ... BUT I adore this one ,I love this adventure so much
I hope you'd like and will wait for ur review -and translate it :)-