Jill Dunlop's Reviews > Marry Me

Marry Me by Jo Goodman

Dec 17, 2010

bookshelves: ebook, own
Read from December 17 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy

Marry Me is the second book in Jo Goodman's Reidsville series. Cole Monroe finds himself accepting a position as town doctor for Reidsville, Colorado after his younger, mischievous sister sends the town his impressive resume. One of his first goals as the new doctor is to see all the patients in the town and that includes the recluses who live in the nearby mountains. Cole is escorted by the local deputy, Will “that no account Betty boy” to the Abbott's cabin in the woods. When he gets there he finds Runt Abbott in a very bad way. He stays to take care of her and then eventually offers her a position as housekeeper in his home.

Marry Me starts off at a very brisk pace with Dr. Monroe saving Runt or Rhyne Abbott’s life. I felt like the author started at the ending of the story and then slowly back tracked to allow the readers to figure out why Rhyne was in the situation she was in at the beginning of the story. This type of writing has the ability to just suck me right into the story and is one of the reason's I just love Jo Goodman. Not to mention that her characters are always fully fleshed out. In the case of Marry Me the situation was very unique and unusual.

Most of the book revolves around Rhyne and Cole, although Rhyne and her back story is the main focus. There are some secondary characters. I think Whitney, Cole's sister stands out the most to me. At sixteen she is a breath of fresh air. Most people think she has a strange way about her. I found her to be refreshing and her vibrancy was not annoying at all. She balanced Cole's staid personality very well. I wonder if she will get her own story down the road.

One little quirk in the book that sort of irritated me was that Will's character was always referred to as "that no account Betty boy". After a while that got old. Essentially, throughout the whole book he was ALWAYS referred to that way. But really, that aside, a Jo Goodman book is always a treat and Marry Me is no exception.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marry Me.

12/17/2010
05/23/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Anja I just finished Never Love A Lawman today and in my review I wrote that the phrase "that no-account Beatty boy" drove me insane with how often it was used. I said it could've been a drinking game. Sounds like I need to get the bottle ready before starting the sequel.

Jill Dunlop LOL, I read NLAL too and I don't remember it being that back but OMG it is really bad in Marry Me. Too funny :)