Lauren Jones's Reviews > Dopey Women

Dopey Women by Laura Barnard

I was provided an early copy of Dopey Women in exchange for an honest review. Honestly, this book is absolutely hilarious, brutally honest and deeply enthralling! The story begins with Sadie being called into the boss’s office for what she believes is a well-deserved promotion. When she walks in, her boss tells her that her department is all essentially…terminated. She has to face three women and inform them of this terrifying and difficult anomaly—right after she has a full on breakdown and throws something through her boss’s window for the lack of respect that he has given to her and her team. Sadie decides that the best way to find other employment is to go and apply to as many places as possible; however, when months go by without any word…she comes up with this crazy idea and the girls agree with her. They are going to start growing and distributing marijuana for cancer patients to help them through their chemo! That would make a boatload of money, right?! As soon as things get a little HARRY…she decides that they may have overstepped the boundaries, and she has become the very thing that she despises, out of total desperation. By the time she makes this rationalization, she doesn’t know if it has become too late to back out. What if she gets caught and goes to jail—could she ever have a prosperous future after that…and what happens to the girls that she has formed such a strong relationship with if she just turns her back and walks away?

My favorite characters in Dopey Women are Sadie and Mags. The author has gifted both of these women with grand personalities! While Lexi and Steph were a little annoying, Mags and Sadie were fun, piss-your-pants funny, intelligent and honest. What I loved most about the both of them was that they seemed to have the strongest connection, like mother and daughter. Their moral compass may have been off by a bit…okay a lot, yet it still took strength to move forward after they knew the consequences. In my opinion, no one likes to read about someone’s perfect life—and theirs were all far from it! Harry seemed very stand-offish at first; however, I warmed up to him quickly and could see what direction his life was heading before him!

I really enjoyed reading the story because it was highly creative, well-written and fast-paced. The author was able to hold my attention throughout the entire read. Overall, this was a wonderful read. I would have to note that I think this story to be inappropriate for anyone under the age of eighteen due to the language and situational dilemmas that are placed into the plot of the story. It was incredibly difficult to put down and any books that I have difficulty with this problem deserve five stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dopey Women.

August 4, 2015 – Started Reading