Cee (The Mistress Case)'s Reviews > Only a Kiss

Only a Kiss by Mary Balogh

Aug 04, 2015

it was ok

How dreadfully boring.

In terms of characterization, it was solid. In terms of characters, oh my, this book was drowning in it. It was endless (and occasionally repetitive) descriptions of family relations, landscapes, and plans of actions in the characters' heads. Perhaps, it's a necessity to make it appeared like time is passing, but I can care less. I skipped over the a great number of paragraphs when they became too excessive. Even the philosophical passages got too preachy for me and it was one of the factors that severed my emotional responses to the characters' struggles.

I repeat: I was bored out of my mind. If only I had hated this book, but I didn't.

"But I would rather you hated me," he added. "There is passion in hatred."

I couldn't agree more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only a Kiss.

August 4, 2015 – Shelved
August 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 5, 2016 – Started Reading
April 5, 2016 –
page 122
30.5% "We were all thinking it, but he just HAD to say it. Wtf was he thinking? He's so insensitive.\n \n "
April 5, 2016 –
page 279
69.75% "I think I feel a yawn coming.\n \n "
April 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Nidofito (last edited Apr 06, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Nidofito You and I combined have read three of the six books of this series. And I think generally, it has slow and full of philosophical/reflective passages but I wonder if that is Balogh's writing style? and in my case, it greatly depended on the main characters that decided the rating for the book. Nice review!

Cee (The Mistress Case) Yes, the self-reflection is just too much. Repeating the same thing but just in different words. I don't mind some self-questioning, but it does nothing for the reader, in my opinion. Maybe it's just her style. The mystery, too, was underwhelming for me, just like it was in her other book. It was too easy to lose interest in her characters. And thank you :)

Jack Vasen The repetition during self reflection is pretty consistent in MB's works and sometimes I feel like she does it just a little too much. I can easily see how you would dislike it altogether because even for me it is a fine line.