Abby's Reviews > That Was Then, This Is Now

That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton

Dec 17, 2010

liked it

The book was so good...during the pages. During the journey of Bryon and Mark, that is. It was emotional, breathtaking, and shocking! S.E. Hinton is an obvious gifted writer, I'll tell anyone!

Bryon is a kid who's focused on the big picture. He's serious but has fun if it's hassling or just being the cool kid. He's a wise-crack kid and the biggest player in Tulsa. He never says "I love you" with feeling. But that was until Cathy came along.

Mark is the joker. He's the one who can hardly speak a sentence with out grinning like Two-Bit (character from The Outsiders). He's a 'lion' with blond hair and golden eyes. He's someone who focuses on the moment but will does this help?

They've been together for almost ever. Now, that relationship is breaking slowly, crack by crack. Secrets pull them apart, realizations bring them back with anger, and brilliant words connect them. With Bryon growing up and Mark longing to be in the past, can they be best friends? Can they be even friends? This novel keeps you gasping in a total of 11 chapters until the last page.

And it's the last page that shocks you the most.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Was Then, This Is Now.

Quotes Abby Liked

S.E. Hinton
“I guess I just couldn't see standing there -- alive, talking, thinking, breathing, being -- one second, and dead the next. It really bothered me. Death by violence isn't the same as dying any other way, accident or disease or old age. It just ain't the same.”
tags: death

S.E. Hinton
“The difference is that was then, this is now.”

S.E. Hinton
“You know what the crummiest feeling you can have is? To hate the person you love the best in the world.”

S.E. Hinton
“I really do like listening to stuff that's happened to other people. I guess that's why I like to read.”

Finished Reading