Ariana's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Dec 17, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, sci-fi, sweet-romance, alternating-pov, beloved, by-color-rainbow, by-color-dark

"A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder."

So..

# First - the cover is absolutely gorgeous (at least I love it) and this is what made me want to read this book.. And so the myth saying that a book with a great cover is always horrible is busted (just) for the moment ;))

# Second, the cover and the beginning of the quote from above are just a bit wrong - this is not really a love story (not so far), we have some romance in it but it is a small part of this book compared to everything else.

# Third - about the book... It's really hard to talk about it not wanting to spoil it for you.
It's strange but what I liked the most was the description.. not the description of the ship itself, but the descriptions of the dreams Amy had, of her feelings, of Elder's feelings for the strange girl with white skin and red hair. The description of this new society so strange and different, with those people that are more like aliens than humans. It's a great book, written in a wonderful way, and I just love every page of it.

We have this girl Amy, who loves Earth, and life on Earth, and more than that she loves her parents (mostly her dad) and wants to go with them when they decide to enroll for this adventure of finding a new planet to live on. We find out some things about her life on Earth, about her deceptions, and we find out more about what she misses from home, about her dreams and fears, about the way she sees the world. She tries to give us the definition of "normal".. but what normal really is?

Than we have Elder who doesn't find his place in a tiny world made of iron (the only world he knows) and who dreams about a new world infinite and not perfect and not symmetrical, and not hand-made. He is the next to rule over the people on this ship, but finding about the secrets this ship is keeping is not an easy task to do, and knowing is sometimes not better that not knowing at all.
I don't like when the main characters have such big responsibilities on their shoulders because they have to 'split' between love and duty and the development of those 2 sides of their personality is never enough to make that character stand out. Elder was a teenager and it was enough to see a girl he loved (a girl that was kind of forbidden) to forget about the fact that he was supposed to train to be a leader - his only purpose in life.

There story reminded me about 'The Hunger Games' just because Elder is the one that cares the most. At the end I can't tell if Amy liked him or not that much because her feeling are not that easy to figure out. Elder on the other way made us understand from the first moment he sees her that he is amazed by her beauty and he would want to keep her forever by his side, to love her all his life. For him is like love at first sight (or what love at first sight might mean in a such strange world that Godspeed is). We see him protecting her and her dreams, struggling between his duties and his feelings, and the more we know him the less we expect him to surprise us in any way, but he does..

Another important character is Eldest. You may see him as the "bad guy" in this story (everyone thinks that he is the Evil in person), the one that keeps so many secrets, the one that makes so many horrible things... and he might be.... but I don't really see him that way, I think that given the situation he made the best he could on those critical moments (and I don't agree with him , is not that, I just understand why he did all those things). Maybe there would have been other ways to keep the ship running (some more ethical ways), but desperate moments need desperate measures and the most he could do was keeping his people alive. I don't agree with the situation on the ship (God help us all to be in such an environment) but I can see how he didn't know better, how they were on their own, with no one to help them or give them an advice, with no one to tell if they are right or wrong, a tiny world in such a huge universe, all on their own. He was wrong about so many things but he didn't do all those things because he had a dark soul.. that's the most I can tell about him.
.... And we will see in the next installment if he was right or not, if there are better ways to run this ship, to be a better leader over those desperate people, if the truth is better than the lies, if the hope is not the one that keeps us moving.. and now I think that I just said too much.

About the killer - well I knew who the killer was from almost the beginning. I was a bit annoyed to see how no one noticed anything wrong about the killers attitude and all, and I was a bit more surprised about the revelation itself, about all that we found at the end of the book. I was like "OMG!.... no way" about so many things and my only regret is that the ending was so, so, soooo rushed.
This was the best part of the book from my point of view, when all the pieces of the puzzle fitted together for the first time, and there were things that I knew about, but some that I didn't see coming... And now I need to read this book again at least partially (to figure out why didn't I see it all coming)... But everything was so damn rushed and I couldn't keep up with all of it because even in one paragraph there was a lot to tell.. I don't know, it just gave me the impression that the author really needed to finish the book but wanted to tell us the full story in those few pages and it's a shame because in a way this is the part I liked the most.

And the last scene from the book is so strange, like the quiet before the storm, it scares me more than all those creepy scenes from the book. I'm not saying more, but I guess that in next book we will find out more.

Also, there are still questions that need to be answered - for example I want to know what did Eldest tell Harley near the end. This might be something unimportant for most of you, but that was why he made the decision he made and I would've liked to know him better, because he was one of my favorite character. And there are things that remained in the air (like some scene that leaves some marks on Amy's skin.. I don't want to spoil it for you and I won't insist about it, but still the scene was not resolved at all.)

Favorite quotes:

"I am as silent as death.
Do this: Go to your bedroom. Your nice, safe, warm bedroom that is not a glass coffin behind a morgue door. Lie down on your bed not made of ice. Stick your fingers in your ears. Do you hear that? The pulse of life from your heart, the slow in-and-out from your lungs? Even when you are silent, even when you block out all noise, your body is still a cacophony of life. Mine is not. It is the silence that drives me mad. The silence that drives the nightmares to me.
Because what if I am dead?"
~ Amy

"I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one." ~ Amy

"I want to take her into my arms and hold her tight. But at the same time, I know that is the exact opposite of what she wants. She wants to be free, and all I want is to hold her tight against me." ~ Elder

"When I look at the fields, all I can see is how fake they are, how poor an imitation they are of the pictures of Sol-Earth fields. [...]
And that's why I'll never be as good an Eldest as he is.
Because I like a little chaos."
~ Elder

Now, some notes:

1. There are some scenes that are not described in detail, but they are definitely more than what YA should be about. I didn't enjoyed some of them but I guess there were important for us to see how twisted that 'world' was.

2. Also, I don't know what's the thing with the curse words in this book. If you feel like swearing just do it all the way.. if not, just keep it for yourself. Don't try to hide the sun behind your finger. My first words in English were "yes" ,"no" ,"fuck".. I think I can deal with reading that word just fine (thank you very much for your concern) and it's more annoying to read a " frexing " derivative of it.

3. I just don't know why people keep comparing this book with "The Host" because they are nothing alike (and I love them both).. except for the fact that the action takes place in the future, and the main interest in the story is the humanity, Earth, the beauty of life, love, etc.. Well, except for these 2 things, there is nothing that could possibly link these 2 books together.

This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Quotes Ariana Liked

Beth Revis
“It is like a piece of my soul had been lost, empty, and it is now filled with the light of a million stars.”

Beth Revis
“More than the sound of my own beating heart, I miss the sound of a ticking clock. Time passes. It must pass....”

Beth Revis
“(D)reams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they're never real. They're never real, and I hate them because they aren't.”

Beth Revis
“You must dedicate your whole life to this idea: you are the caretaker of every single person on this ship. They are your responsibility.
You can never show weakness in front of them: you are their strength.
You can never let them see you in despair: you are their hope.
You must always be everything to everyone on board.”

Beth Revis
“This journey... it's long". He says this as if he's felt all 250 years of travel.”

Beth Revis
“I am as silent as death.
Because what if I am dead?”

Beth Revis
“When I look at the fields, all I can see is how fake they are, how poor an imitation they are of the pictures of Sol-Earth fields.
[...]
And that's why I'll never be as good an Eldest as he is.
Because I like a little chaos.”

“Should we wait?"
"Yes! YES. Wait - I'm coming. Just give me some time to thaw, and I will rise from the ice and live again. I will be your frozen phoenix. Just give me a chance!”

Beth Revis
“That's all you need to know about Godspeed," he says. "Although you should also know this. I am Eldest."
Good for you, I think. Congrats on being old.

Beth Revis
“I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.”

Beth Revis
“I could tell them about the different kinds of rain, pouring rain that's perfect for when you want to stay inside and watch a movie or read, or piercing rain that feels like needles on your skin, or soft summer rain that makes your first kiss with your first love all the sweeter. ~ Amy”

Beth Revis
“He sounds like a regular Hitler to me", Amy mutters.
I wonder what she means by that. Eldest has always taught me that Hitler was a wise, cultured leader for his people. Maybe that's what she means: Eldest is a strong leader, like Hitler was. ~ Elder”

Beth Revis
“It's always in the rain...”

Beth Revis
“I want to take her into my arms and hold her tight. But at the same time, I know that is the exact opposite of what she wants. She wants to be free, and all I want is to hold her tight against me. ~ Elder”

Beth Revis
“This ship is built on secrets; it runs on secrets", he says, tiny droplets of spittle flying from his mouth to my face. "And if you keep asking about them, you'll see how far I'm willing to go to keep mine." ~ Eldest”

Beth Revis
“This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you. ~ Amy”

Beth Revis
“Sorry? Sorry? Sorry isn't enough. Every. Single. Thing. I ever loved is beyond my reach now. Everything I ever wanted. Everything I ever was.”

Beth Revis
“Maybe the secret of the stars has nothing to do with being alone.”

December 17, 2010 – Shelved
January 19, 2011 – Started Reading
January 21, 2011 –
page 50
15.34% ""This is frexing good"-quote from the book. Well, the book is really good so far and I like it a lot.... but if I read the word "frexing" one more time I'm gonna fucking die!"
January 21, 2011 –
October 29, 2011 – Shelved as: alternating-pov
December 19, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-rainbow
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-dark

Arlene I want this book!! I need to read this soon. Great review!

Ariana I really liked it.
It's hard to talk about this book and keep it spoiler-free, there were lots of things I wanted to say, but it is better for people to find out by their own. I hope you'll like it too :)

message 3: by Mika (new)

Mika i liked that you had your fav quotes heres mine, "this is the secret of the stars.In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one eles can touch you." -Amy

Ariana Yes I love that quote too.. and "Maybe the secret of the stars has nothing to do with being alone." :)

In fact, I have tons of quotes that I liked a lot..

Rogier Great review! loved this book
and i remember those quotes
i can't wait 2 read my copy soon

Ariana Thanks.. I am reading the second book now, and I am enjoy it so far :) hopefully I won't change my mind further into the story ;))

Kelly I like the picture you made! Amy looks so mysterious and adorable! :D

Ariana The picture was made by an artist from deviantart: http://cvetim.deviantart.com/art/Acro... (I have the link to it on the blog as well).
And I love it too, the girl is so innocent and she resembles the Amy from my mind.

Vanessa microsoft Across the Universe

message 10: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina After I decide to read this book upon being amazed by the book description alone, I see that you've put up a review, and the curiosity overpowered me....... I believe I've been a bit spoiled, I should've read only the first 1/3rd of your review :/ ... I wonder how I'm gonna perceive the world of this book.

message 11: by Ariana (last edited Dec 03, 2013 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana Sorry for spoiling things for you. I didn't mean too. But some of those happen at the beginning so, don't worry, I don't think it will ruin the book for you (in fact the surprise is at the very ending) - or so I hope :|
Also, usually the books go around other things that the ones I mention in my reviews, I am a bit superficial when it comes to that ;))

Roudah Hesham I can't believe I've read this book 5 years ago your review makes me feel so nostalgic😭

Ariana Roudah wrote: "I can't believe I've read this book 5 years ago your review makes me feel so nostalgic😭"

Yup, time flies!
As goodreads states, I read it in 2011. Been quite a while, I might reread it someday. Thanks for stopping by!