Lola 's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

bookshelves: contemporary, retellings, sisterhood, family, coming-of-age

Frankly, I’m pretty convinced that every single fan of the sweeping classic Pride and Prejudice should watch The Lizzie Bennet Diaries videos, then read this companion novel… and vice versa, as you prefer it.

Pride and Prejudice is, as I very likely may have mentioned it before, my most loved classic, and my not having had the chance to peruse them all means absolutely nothing. This contemporary retelling did it justice on every aspect. Even the writing is formidable.

The relationships between characters are the gist of the story, basically. You know that, if you’ve read the classic. It’s not about the mystery (what mystery?), the secrecy, the romance, or the setting. It’s about the sisterhood and interactions between sisters, it’s about the momma bear who wants the best for her children, it’s about seeing with hazy eyes, and than, admitting we were wrong from the start, trusting blindly and learning from our mistakes.

It’s... so beautiful. So raw. So relatable. Don’t tell me you’ve never, ever misjudged someone. That can’t be possible. Because we’re humans. I know I have. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet is the type of contemporary I could, and want, to always read. There’s family drama, a slight touch of honest and pure romance and humour to keep everything lightened up, making this a more than pleasurable read!

Can I just end this review by saying that the person who had the idea of retelling my favourite classic through videos and a diary novel is a genius? Also, thank you. I’ve enjoyed myself so, so much with both of these creations.

Also, this:

description

Get him ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

August 2, 2015 – Started Reading
August 3, 2015 – Shelved
August 4, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Xueting That person with the brilliant idea was Hank Green! I love the video series too!!! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Woah! Five stars! Hehe. Wonderful review, Lola. <3

Ella Janine Yes, yes, and YES. <3

message 4: by Jilly (new)

Jilly P&P is my all-time favorite, so I guess I need this. Thanks, Lo!

message 5: by Sonya (new) - added it

Sonya Haha, thanks for introducing me to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries videos . Why haven't I heard of it earlier? And great review, Lola! Looking forward to reading this. :D

Lola Xueting wrote: "That person with the brilliant idea was Hank Green! I love the video series too!!! :)"

I'm about to start The March Family Letters :D It also looks great!

Lola Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Woah! Five stars! Hehe. Wonderful review, Lola. <3"

Thanks so much :D

Lola Ella wrote: "Yes, yes, and YES. <3"

<3 <3

Lola Jilly wrote: "P&P is my all-time favorite, so I guess I need this. Thanks, Lo!"

oh, YOU DO. You'll see, it's pretty, pretty awesome. Welcome ;)

Lola Sonia wrote: "Haha, thanks for introducing me to The Lizzie Bennet Diaries videos . Why haven't I heard of it earlier? And great review, Lola! Looking forward to reading this. :D"

Well I personally heard of it through a Goodreads friend a year ago, so it's only normal that you also hear it from one, hehe ;) Thank you! I hope you love them as much as I did!

message 11: by Exina (new)

Exina Lovely review, Lola!

message 12: by Sakina (new)

Sakina Amazing review Lola! I am definitely checking this book out but first the series since I have heard a lot about it on Tumblr and after your review very intrigued about it.

Lola Exina wrote: "Lovely review, Lola!"

Thanks :D!

Lola Sakina wrote: "Amazing review Lola! I am definitely checking this book out but first the series since I have heard a lot about it on Tumblr and after your review very intrigued about it."

Awesome!! I actually recommend watching the videos first!! So glad you're interested. Thank you :D

Sarina WOW! I clicked the link, and the first video.... wow, just wow! I will read this book, I will see the videos, and I will share this!! :D Haven't felt this much entertained in a long, long time...

message 16: by Neil (or bleed) (new)

Neil (or bleed) Wonderful review, Lola! ^^

Lola Sarina wrote: "WOW! I clicked the link, and the first video.... wow, just wow! I will read this book, I will see the videos, and I will share this!! :D Haven't felt this much entertained in a long, long time..."

That makes me so, so happy! :D I can't wait to hear what you think of the actors, the modificated plot and... Darcy! The book is as wonderful as the videos, if not more ;)

Lola Neil(ed) it! wrote: "Wonderful review, Lola! ^^"

Thank you :D!

message 19: by Sonia (new)

Sonia This review and the picture just had me running to youtube to watch the series. I am loving it! Thank you for introducing it!

Lola I'm so, so glad to hear that!! :D Thank YOU!