Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Sermon on the Mount

Sermon on the Mount by Scot McKnight

19232021

liked it

This book is a commentary and is part of The Story of God series. The editors represent a diverse range of scholars from different denominational backgrounds and gender. I am neutral about this. Such an approach might be good if all the scholars work on the same material so that each segment received a different set of presuppositions, but, otherwise, all you get with such an approach is a different set of presuppositions for each individual segment. I researched all the contributors, though, and they all seem legitimate with a conservative, standard exegetical approach, so that is a positive.

The contributors deny that this is an "application" commentary, but it is similar, which is why they have to argue it, I suppose. The overall setup of the text has the NIV version of the text, which is not my favourite, but which I do not dislike, followed by sections of commentary to a set pattern.

The first of these is entitled "Listen to the Story," which is the introduction to the passage. This is where any parallels are referenced.

The second is called "Explain the Story." The section of commentary explains the passage as it relates to the overall biblical story. It does not go exceptionally in-depth, claiming to use footnotes for materials that readers will have readily on hand. This is where the explication comes in as well as the biblical background, cultural tropes, and theological interpretations. Essentially, this is written for laymen, which I dislike as I feel it dumbs down the text, and I took away one star from my rating because of this.

The last commentary section is entitled "Live the Story," which is the application. It serves to indicate how Christians today should apply the biblical concepts to their lives. This makes this an application Bible, which they claimed it was not, which is why I took away another star in my ranking.

Overall, this commentary is okay. It is not incredible or unique in its approach. If you use the NIV and do not care about going massively in-depth, then this might be a good choice. The book does include indices for Scripture, subjects, and authors, which I appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sermon on the Mount.

Finished Reading