Tonja Drecker's Reviews > Quanta

Quanta by Lola Dodge

This is a fairly intense read with many dark shadows and a beacon of hope, which doesn't always glimmer as bright as it could. Quanta is stuck in a dark place. Her prison appears comfortable enough, but her roll as a guinea pig leaves her at the hands of ruthless scientists for years. There's a lot of violence in this story, so younger readers will want to be aware of that.

I enjoyed the book. Despite her horrid predicament, Quanta doesn't lose her fight or her soul. She deals with things the best way she can, and although feels remorse for her mistakes, isn't the kind of person to dwell on them. I appreciated the way the author weaves Quanta's 'talent' as a part of her person--no regrets or pride. Her ability to see the past or possible futures isn't something she ever questions. Good or bad, it's a part of who she is.

It's easy to feel for Quanta and hate the scientists holding her. Unfortunately, it's never clear why her main torturer acts the way he does (a glimpse at his ghosts would have added to the hate), but he's so evil, it's made me want to strangle him myself. Even the heads of the institute were easy to dislike and formed a great line of bad versus good.

The plot moves well and at no time did I feel like I wanted to lay the book down. Quanta and Tair go up against impossible situations, and even when an 'out' is found, the hopes are quickly bashed away again. The heroes are constantly hit down before they ever get anywhere, making this an edge of the seat type of read. And then there's the flashes of hope. . .perfectly timed sprinkles which shine through the darkness just enough to entice the heroes along. It made me feel for them and cheer for them, and hope for them myself.

The only thing I was missing was a little more depth to the government versus rebels (and perhaps some of the side characters). Quanta and Tair are stuck in the middle of this battle, but it's never clear what the opposing sides represent or what the true problems are. But since I didn't read the first book in this series, I might have missed the information then.

In other words, I can recommend this to YA dystopian fans who enjoy a bit of science fiction and non-stop tension. Because this is one of those reads that one really isn't sure whether or not the hero and heroine will survive.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quanta.

August 3, 2015 – Shelved