Jessica B's Reviews > A Kingdom of Dreams

A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

Dec 16, 2010

bookshelves: my-secret-santa, historical-romance, own, 2011, favourite-reads
Read from January 18 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

Great read! Another one from my Secret Santa! The first two hundred pages were by far my favourite. The book started off with Jenny and Royce being married and then it goes back showing how they came to be in that position. Jenny and her sister were taken from an Abbey by Royce's brother Stefan because they wanted Jenny's father to surrender to them. Of course Jenny being the fiery spirit that she is she does everything possible to make her captivity hell on Royce and his men.

It was wonderful to watch the development of their relationship bloom from fear and hatred into a friendship and then love. It was wonderful. The side characters were quite enjoyable as well. The small budding romance between Brenna and Stefan was cute and I wish we could have seen a little bit more from it. There were also characters that were easy to hate most of them being in Jenny's family.

I thought this book to be a little bit long. I found some places could have been cut out but it was still enjoyable just the same. The author did such a wonderful job of keeping the story realistic towards the time period.

Royce and Jenny have made it onto my list of favourite couples!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom of Dreams.

Quotes Jessica B Liked

Judith McNaught
“You are mad!" she snapped, her chest heaving. "And you are a devil!"
"And you, my dear," Royce imperturbably replied, "are a bitch." With that, he
turned to the horrified friar and unhesitatingly announced, "The lady and I wish to be wed.”

Judith McNaught
“Sir Eustace was with Royce and Stefan looking over some maps when he was informed by the guard that the ladies were asking for him. "Is there no end to her arrogance!" Royce bit out, referring to Jenny. "She even sends her guards on errands, and what's more, they run to do her bidding." Checking his tirade, he said shortly, "I assume it was the blue-eyed one with the dirty face who sent you?"

Sir Lionel chuckled and shook his head. "I saw two clean faces, Royce, but the one who talked to me had greenish eyes, not blue."

"Ah, I see," Royce said sarcastically, "it wasn't Arrogance that sent you trotting away from your post, it was Beauty. What does she want?”

Judith McNaught
“Behold your new mistress, my wife," he pronounced, "and know that when she
bids you, I have bidden you. What service you render her, you are rendering me. What loyalty you give or withhold from her, you give or withhold from me!"

-Royce Westmoreland”

01/18/2011 page 201
show 2 hidden updates…

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED this book, too! And Royce ... *sigh* I adore him!

Jessica B It was really great! Everything I wanted from it and more! Royce managed to be a hero true to his time period... but still lovable all the same. Now I'm onto the next in the series - Whitney, My Love. Have you read that one as well?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish OMG. YES, I read Whitney. I cried. A Lot. It was such an emotional rollercoaster! I'm glad you read KoD first, because in Whitney, there are wonderful references to Royce and Jennifer, even though it's hundreds of years later.

Jessica B I'm glad to hear it! I've read some reviews that said Whitney, My Love was not very good. I'm enjoying it so far. I look forward to a good ride around that emotional roller coaster!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I was so angry and both Whitney and Clay at times I wanted to scream. There was so much angst that I had to keep putting down the book and coming back later.

message 6: by Jessica B (last edited Jan 21, 2011 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica B Yeah its been a bit slow going for me. I'm only 115 pages in. I'm reading something else at the same time. It seems to be taking the edge off from WML. There is so much going on, it really takes a toll on your emotional health!