Cody Birkeland's Reviews > Payback Time

Payback Time by Carl Deuker

M 50x66
Dec 16, 2010

Book Review

For the book review this quarter I will be writing about the book “Payback Time.” Written by Carl Deuker. It has 298 pages in it. That’s a lot! Overall this book was pretty beast. I mean football is beast so anything to do with football is beast.

Daniel True is a reporter for Lincoln High School in Seattle, Washington. He is trying to get top job in the newsletter magazine, but Horst Diamond is in his way. He tells himself he will quit and that there is no way he is going to beat Horst for the lead role. He doesn’t quit. He gets assigned to sports for the year.

Daniel is sitting at football practice when one player catches his eye. His name his Angel. He doesn’t start on the team, but Daniel thinks he should. So Daniel stops him after practice to get his take on how he plays the game. He also asks if he thinks he should be starter or not. Angel doesn’t give him an answer. He just walks away.

So it’s the first game of the year. Angel is sitting on the bench when the man that beat him for his starting position went down with a broken leg. Daniel tells coach to put in Angel. Angel totally tears it up I mean he like destroys. Daniel catches up with him after the game. He asks him what it felt god to play as a starter? He said “No comment.” He went on to start the rest of the year. He won MVP of the league that year and got a scholarship to Texas Tech University. And as for me I got a job writing for the local newspaper after I turned in the report on Angel. When Angel said “No comment,” it woke me up. Like I was in a dream. I’ll never forget it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Payback Time.