K.'s Reviews > Nimona

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Aug 02, 2015

bookshelves: 2015, fantasy, graphic-novel, library, audience-young-adult, setting-fantasy

I read Lumberjanes vol. 1 recently and absolutely loved it, so I had fairly high hopes for this. And for the most part, this was excellent. I loved that it was a mix of fantasy and sci-fi elements. Like, it's a very medieval feeling world, with knights and jousting and dragons. But then there's a ton of science-y stuff, and people have laser guns and televisions and computers.

I love that Lord Blackheart is the villain of the piece but is ultimately operating in a moral grey zone where he's doing bad things but for the right reasons. Like, he's putting all these nefarious plans in place, but it's with the public's best interests in mind. He's trying to protect them from the Institution, and as a result, his actions get framed in a villain-y light. And he actually says at one point that he didn't WANT to be the villain, but that's the role the Institution shoved him into.

Sir Goldenloin is a typical Disney-esque hero who comes to realise that not everything is as he thinks. And Nimona is basically just chaos. She's a young shapeshifter with a dubious moral code whose answer to everything is to kill people or blow things up or smash everything.

So it's a really interesting world full of awesome and complex characters (and an LGBTQIA relationship wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee). And the art is glorious.

My main gripe with it was a total old lady thing, and that's that the font ended up REALLY small, as did a lot of the detail in the art. So yeah. I really enjoyed the story. But there were times when I had to squint at the page, and that made me sad. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to tell some damned kids to get off my lawn. *hobbles away on Zimmer frame*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nimona.

August 2, 2015 – Shelved
November 3, 2015 – Shelved as: audience-young-adult
November 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 19, 2016 – Shelved as: setting-fantasy

message 1: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Great review! I'll be sure to have a magnifying glass handy when I read it. Lol