C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2015, young-adult, paranormal, ya-male-narrators

WHAAAAAT EVEN WAS THIS MADNESS?? I'm so confused. But somehow I still loved it?? I'm not sure how that happened? I was genuinely terrified. Not that this is a horror per se, but gawsh, I don't know WHAT IT IS. I can't even sum up the story for you. Except it's about childhood and nightmares and mind twistingness and magic and dark things that want to rip your heart out and dance in your entrails. NICE STUFF, EH?

I went into this book 100% blind. All I knew was that it was, obviously, by Neil Gaiman. I've read a few of his books and adored them all!! (Coraline and The Graveyard Book and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch basically.) I love Neil Gaiman's style....it's kind of whimsical but sneaks in the occasional dry wit and it's so VISUAL. like he describes food and my stomach grumbles.

AND THEN HE DESCRIBES A 7 YEAR OLD PULLING AN EVIL WORM OUT OF AN ENDLESS HOLE IN HIS FOOT AND I JUST ABOUT DIED.

So gross.

I have to be honest with you though: I'm so confused. I feel like I understood half of this book but such a LOT was just "Whaaaaat??" moments for me. But somehow it did rob me the enjoyment? I liked the confusion. It was creepy and startling and basically stuffed with childhood fears and attitudes. It was so hooking too. I was just going to read the first few chapters and then -- WELL HELLO END OF THE BOOK, FANCY SEEING YOU SO SOON.

My basic only quibble is that the entire book could've be sorted in, like 50 pages if (view spoiler)

So, yes, you're welcome for this entirely useless review. This book is definitely creepy and paranormal. It's narrated by a 7 year old, but it's more of an adult (or Ya?) book I should think. It's incredibly addictive and the writing is just BEAUTIFUL. I felt bored and uninterested for the first 50-pages but after that -- bliss. And by "bliss" I mean FREAKING TERROR. Seriously. Make sure you have something to cuddle while your read this, and please check under your bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Neil Gaiman
“I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else.”

Neil Gaiman
“I saw the world I had walked since my birth and I understood how fragile it was, that the reality was a thin layer of icing on a great dark birthday cake writhing with grubs and nightmares and hunger.”

Neil Gaiman
“Books were safer than other people anyway.”

August 2, 2015 – Started Reading
August 2, 2015 – Shelved
August 2, 2015 –
page 100
56.18% "This is surprisingly terrifying."
August 3, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 3, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 3, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 3, 2015 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 3, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It seems we had the same reaction to this book! Your review gives voice to all my thoughts, I was telling my self "What the hell...????" every time reading this book!

message 2: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bittner Love this review hahah

message 3: by Cyrielle (new) - added it

Cyrielle Jeanne i read it today (actually, finished it like ten minutes ago) and you sum up my feelings perfectly!

C.G. Drews @Cyrielle: Yayyy!! I'm so glad you liked it too!

Celeste The book confused the hell out of me too!

message 6: by Yolanda (new) - added it

Yolanda Sfetsos I LOVED everything about this book!