We Are All Mad Here's Reviews > The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher

The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher by Jessica  Lawson

bookshelves: middle-grades

Cute book, excellent idea, well executed.

"If I stay out any longer, people might start thinking I fell in the river and drowned. Miss Ada would be awful sad at my funeral. Come to think of it, not too many people get to see their own funeral. Might be worth an extra couple of days."

His eyes twinkle. "Isn't that an idea? Visiting your own funeral." He took out his notebook and jotted something down.

An imagined precursor to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher includes a young Samuel Clemens, taking notes and thinking he may just become a writer someday. Becky Thatcher provides his inspiration in a mostly predictable but still clever and entertaining series of adventures. Perhaps you need to be a fan of Mark Twain to particularly enjoy this story, but I am, and so I did. Thank you to Jessica Lawson, for reminding me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher.

August 2, 2015 – Started Reading