Mrsgaskell's Reviews > As for Me and My House

As for Me and My House by Sinclair Ross

Dec 15, 2010

bookshelves: 9-star, bookcrossing, canadiana, own

This novel takes the form of a diary by the unnamed wife of Philip Bentley, a frustrated painter who has been a small town church minister for a number of years in spite of his apparent lack of faith. His hypocrisy and its effect on his art, as well as the couple’s childlessness, torment him and strain the marriage. The setting is the small town of Horizon on the Saskatchewan prairies, where they have just arrived, the latest stop in a succession of small town postings. It’s the thirties, harsh years of depression and drought. Mrs. Bentley dreams of a better future for them and strives to save enough of their meager funds so that they can buy a store enabling her husband to leave the ministry and pursue his art. We only have her version and perception of the events that take place as they get to know the townspeople, among them Mrs. Bentley’s new friend Paul, choir member Judith, and Steve, a young boy to whom they offer a home. This is an excellent novel and deserves its place among classic Canadian literature.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As for Me and My House.

Started Reading