Shannon Thompson's Reviews > The Infinite Sea

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

bookshelves: favorite-series, great-ya, sci-fi

I’m wiping tears away—not just because of the book but also because of Rick Yancey’s acknowledgements. If you’re a writer, I’m telling you, this entire series is worth it just for the acknowledgements. That’s how great Rick Yancey is.
The Infinite Sea is the sequel to the now-movie, The 5th Wave. I loved the first book and I loved this one even more. Even better? I felt like the sequel brought us a completely new voice—a very obscure and metaphorical one (via Ringer, mostly)—and I reveled in it, especially since the complexities of the world must have been even more difficult to describe when writing from an unstable and symbolic perspective. Despite the chaos, everything was clear. A masterful piece for all sci-fi lovers.
In regards to specifics, it was AWESOME (and completely heartbreaking) to read Ringer’s and Poundcake’s background stories. I wish we could’ve seen more of Cassie, Evan, Ben, etc., but I also understand the book needed to focus on where it focused on, and that focus was both gruesome, sometimes disgusting, uncomfortable, riveting, and completely insane.
I would have to bet that The Last Star will be even crazier.
Thank you, Rick Yancey. Thank you.
~SAT
Recommended to: Fans of The 5th Wave (obvs.) and readers of earth-bound sci-fi, mind-blowing deception, and philosophical questions about rats. (Wink)
Favorite Quote: But there’re the things we tell ourselves about the truth, and there’re the things the truth tells about us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinite Sea.

August 2, 2015 – Shelved