Edward Rathke's Reviews > Royal Assassin

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb

It's difficult to explain what makes this book so great, but the best way to sum it up is that I ended up staying up all night twice in a row just to have the time to read it.

It picks up from where the first novel leaves off. The first novel is more of a standalone, while this clearly builds off it, and leads into what comes next, which I'm very excited to get into.

This trilogy shares a lot of elements with A Song of Ice and Fire, which is interesting since they were published almost simultaneously. Kings whose sigils are stags, wargs, main characters who are bastards of honorable men, court intrigue [though this is limited and the book is hardly about it], and the horror of violence.

It's really great and there is much less violence than a book called Royal Assassin might suggest, way less than Martin. Brutal things happen but they're not highlighted or really the focus. The focus is how we deal with violence. How it changes us. How we're both drawn and repelled by it. What power does to people and how power attracts people, and what those who lust after power become.

But, yeah, loving this. The writing and narrative feel more confident. It's a complex novel intricately plotted.

I guess I don't have a lot to say. So much happens and it's so effortless. The world
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Assassin.

August 1, 2015 – Started Reading