Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Veil of Lies

Dec 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: detective-crime, fiction
Read in December, 2010

Veil of Lies was the first book I'd read by Jeri Westerson. I was at the library and saw the 3rd Crispin Guest book was out, it seemed interesting so I went and got the first one.

Set in medieval times, Crispin was once a knight and nobleman, who was charged with treason, lived, but had only the clothes on his back. He becomes The Tracker, a man hired to find things.

In this capacity he is brought into the service of a wealthy merchant, who soon thereafter found stabbed to death. Guest soon learns that there is more than murder afoot and sets out to solve the many mysteries.

I found the character of Crispin to be interesting. The story did involve a relic owned by the merchant that several parties were after, but not a quest to find a mysterious item lost for ages. This relic was already in the estate of the murdered merchant, whereabouts unknown.

The story moved along well. It wasn't too long and an easy read over a few nights. The ending was good enough, not great, but it worked. I wouldn't be waiting in anticipation until the next book was released, but I will read the second one to see how Crispin develops and where the series goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Lies.