Abby's Reviews > How to Be Brave

How to Be Brave by E. Katherine Kottaras

bookshelves: kindle, advanced-copy, favorites

How to Be Brave by E. Katherine Kottaras follows Georgia on her journey of grief, finding herself, and surviving her senior year of high school. After her beloved mother passes away after battling with multiple health problems, Georgia decides to follow her mother’s advice and learn to be brave. She creates a list of fifteen things she’s always been afraid to do and begins to check them off one by one. Tribal dance? Ask out her biggest crush? Try out for cheerleading? Naturally, things don’t necessarily go as planned.

I’m going to be honest– I hesitated a bit when reading my ARC of this book. As someone who lost her mother as a teenager, I tend to be very weary of YA novels that overplay the sad, wide-eyed motherless teen role. But I was pleasantly surprised– aside from Sonya Sonyes’ “One of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies” (one of my all-time favorites), this is the first book I have read that has truly captured the individual, heartbreaking nature of experiencing this unique grief at such a young age.

I fell in love with Georgia, her father, and her friends. I fell in love with her mother’s spirit, living so brightly through Georgia while allowing her to shape herself. I bawled at times, and smiled so hard that my face hurt at other times. And that is what I needed from this book. Thank you, E. Katherine Kottaras. I sincerely wish that thirteen-year-old me had been able to read this book. You are going to help so many people through Georgia’s story, and even though I’m an “adult” now, you’ve certainly helped me.

How to Be Brave hits stores on November 3rd, and you guys absolutely need to read it.

FIVE STARS, WITHOUT A DOUBT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Brave.

August 1, 2015 – Started Reading
August 1, 2015 – Shelved
August 1, 2015 – Shelved as: kindle
August 1, 2015 – Shelved as: advanced-copy
August 1, 2015 –
76.0% "This book is giving me so many amazing, nostalgic feels. So many authors can't pull off what this one is doing. Love it!"
August 2, 2015 – Finished Reading