Rachel Gunter's Reviews > Lorali

Lorali by Laura Dockrill

Aug 01, 2015

liked it

Rating - 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of Lorali from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lorali by Laura Dockrill is a YA book about a young mermaid Princess who becomes a human and washes up on a beach in England. I thought it was a unique book, different from most of the other mermaid books I've read.

The two main characters, Lorali and Rory, were both likeable. Lorali was sweet and unintentionally funny a lot of the time. The way she was excited about her feet, and cake, and all the new things was adorable! Rory was a typical 16 year old boy, he wanted to hang out with his friends and celebrate his birthday. But when it came to Lorali he really stepped up and looked out for her.

The changing PoVs were a little confusing at times but I think part of that was because my kindle copy wasn't a finished copy so sometimes the narrator wasn't identified until part way through their chapter. I enjoyed the chapters from Opal Zeal's PoV, and the Pirates were interesting.

I really liked the mermaid culture in this book, and I want to see a lot more of it in the sequel. My favourite parts were learning about the tapestries (tail) and how the mermaids were made.

Definitely a fun book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lorali.

August 1, 2015 – Started Reading