Suzanne's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

bookshelves: owned

This was a remarkable book. Obviously this concept has sprung from a real life situation, but to be based on its own merit, I think this is a piece of work to be applauded. The characteristics from this poor little boy, and the way in which his mum dealt with her limited situation was captured with, how do I say, accuracy.. it was very skilfully implemented. I was impressed with this work and can see it had the merit to have been a short list selection for the Man Booker Prize. How would I know what this would be like? I loved the physical and mental exercise that mum and son did together to keep Jack's body and spirit alive. As for the movie, I think I'd like to see it, in fact I am looking forward to it. I found the relationship between this mother and son to be lovely and real; one to be learned from. Recommended reading, which to be fair perhaps I should mention this was a book that many people did not like, and I noticed from here on GR that many gave up and did not finish. I really did like this. Glad I slotted it in to my ever growing supply of books. I love this conundrum!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

August 1, 2015 – Shelved
April 24, 2017 –
page 98
April 25, 2017 –
page 164
40.9% "Indy is the same age as Jack. This stuff is crazy (in real life). My goodness. Indy's a baby."
April 25, 2017 –
page 272
April 26, 2017 –
page 325
April 28, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Idarah A movie? This should be interesting! I was glued to this book and that rarely happens.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I have to get to this one sooner before I see movie, will add to my vacation list. Thanks for the heads up!

message 3: by Suzanne (last edited Aug 01, 2015 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne This been on and off my list so many times, don't know why.. Most friends rated very high! I'll go to the library ASAP :))

message 4: by Ace (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ace A great but difficult read due to the circumstances. I hope you like it.

Deanna I hope you both like it too! I look forward to hearing what you think if you do read it :)

❀Julie I've had this one forever and keep putting it off for some reason. I definitely need to get to it soon if the movie is coming out!

Suzanne I have a thing about reading the book first. Which means many many new release movies sit there not being seen by me.

❀Julie Thanks Deanna, I will have to figure out when the movie comes out.

Suzanne, I'm like you in reading the book first, with the exception of a few classics.

Josephine I listened to the book on audible and that was quite interesting as it was from s child's voice. I think I will read s hard copy since you say there is s movie, I'm currently reading the Jayce Dugard memoir.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn I have a copy somewhere Suzanne. Will have to see if I can find it before the book swap meet.

Suzanne I've officially lost a couple Carolyn.. So I absolutely understand the feeling. One of them is one someone would want too, I'm sure!

message 12: by Vicki (new) - rated it 1 star

Vicki Did you read it Suzanne? Just finished and hated it!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Guess what Suzanne? I found my copy of Room. It was sitting in my unread bookshelf when I'd been looking at all the read books. I read about 50% before ditching it so maybe I thought I'd get back to it (I won't!). Anyway it's yours if I can get it to you sometime.

Suzanne Thanks Carolyn! Would love it. Definitely want to catch our next meeting :)

Suzanne Vicki, no not yet, I think I had this book on and off my list. Who knows if I'll like it?!

Mariah Roze Room by Emma Donoghue
Our Diversity in All Forms book Club is reading this for May. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Suzanne Thanks Mariah, I will check it out.

Marianne Excellent review, Suzanne. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I loved it and I plan to see the movie too, just waiting for a copy to be free at the library...

Deanna I'm so glad you read this! It's one of my favorites. The movies was pretty good too (well in my opinion).
Great review, SuzQ <3

Suzanne Marianne wrote: "Excellent review, Suzanne. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I loved it and I plan to see the movie too, just waiting for a copy to be free at the library..."

Thanks Marianne. I hope the movie will make us happy as well. Not often this is the case, but you never know. I really was impressed with the portrayal of something that is horrendous and unthinkable. She did it well in my humble opinion.

Suzanne Deanna wrote: "I'm so glad you read this! It's one of my favorites. The movies was pretty good too (well in my opinion).
Great review, SuzQ <3"

Thanks Dee. It's all about our opinions isn't it? I notice we both throw in that line! Looking forward to seeing Brie Larson xx

Margitte Great review Suzanne. This was a very skillfully written book.

message 23: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict Nice work, Suzanne.

Suzanne Margitte wrote: "Great review Suzanne. This was a very skillfully written book."

Thanks Margitte. Agree!

Suzanne B the BookAddict wrote: "Nice work, Suzanne."

Thanks B. Have you read this one?

DebsD I loved this book too, and I thought the movie was also very well done (not something I often say about favourite books lol)

Suzanne Glad you liked it like I did, Debstr. I'll have to get to movie asap.

Suzanne Watching movie now.