Lainy's Reviews > Pretty Baby

Time taken to read - 3 days

Pages - 384

Publisher - MIRA

Blurb from Goodreads

A chance encounter sparks an unrelenting web of lies in this stunning new psychological thriller from national bestselling author Mary Kubica

She sees the teenage girl on the train platform, standing in the pouring rain, clutching an infant in her arms. She boards a train and is whisked away. But she can't get the girl out of her head...

Heidi Wood has always been a charitable woman: she works for a nonprofit, takes in stray cats. Still, her husband and daughter are horrified when Heidi returns home one day with a young woman named Willow and her four-month-old baby in tow. Disheveled and apparently homeless, this girl could be a criminal—or worse. But despite her family's objections, Heidi invites Willow and the baby to take refuge in their home.

Heidi spends the next few days helping Willow get back on her feet, but as clues into Willow's past begin to surface, Heidi is forced to decide how far she's willing to go to help a stranger. What starts as an act of kindness quickly spirals into a story far more twisted than anyone could have anticipated.

My Review

Heidi is a helper, she can't help but reach out to people and try and assist them, both in her job and out with. She spots a young bedraggled girl at the train station with a baby and feels compelled to help her. Knowing nothing about her she offers her shelter in her home with her husband and own daughter. Willow could have any kind of past but with her baby Ruby and Heidi's own tragic past she can't resist bringing them into her life, but to what cost?

The chapters are split between Heidi, her husband Chris and Willow. Willow flits from present day to the past and we find out slowly why she was on the streets with her baby. Chris, we find out a lot about Heidi from him and Heidi, poor sweet Heidi, her story unfolds as we delve deeper into what transpires and how things start to unravel as Heidi tries to help Willow and is drawn to Ruby.

The story definitely pulls you in, you want to know where it is going to go and how the family cope with these two "kids" being dumped into their life. I did get a little frustrated at times, especially with some of Willows story trying to work out what was going on. The end also felt a bit sudden and unexpected which, has been well received by many readers and of course is a personal preference. This is the second book I have read by Kubica and I will certainly read anymore she writes, for me I think I would enjoy this one more the second time round. Enthralling, intriguing, sad, some tales of abuse that some readers may find disturbing and infidelity are just some of the issues covered in this tale. 3/5 for me this time, thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Baby.

July 31, 2015 – Started Reading
July 31, 2015 – Shelved
July 31, 2015 –
page 81
August 2, 2015 –
page 134
35.26% "Anyone read this yet?"
August 2, 2015 – Finished Reading