De repente, no último livro (Ivy Montiel / Alice D.)'s Reviews > Derby Girl

Derby Girl by Shauna Cross

Here in my country this book isn´t too famous, as so many others and in fact, I read just a few reviews about him in my original language, i don´t know why. The story is good and is a new theme, i don´t know any other YA book about roller derby and this is the original point about this book and the author knew work with this original idea. The book is so fresh, and so easy to understand and involve yourself on the story, on the characters. Its a good book to relax, in some summer afternoon, when you just need some entertainment with no bigger pretensions.
Bliss is a special and rebel girl, with a great personality and amazing friends, like her best arabic friend, always there, supporting her and trying help her in the best way.
Even being so young, Bliss have so maturity and she isn´t so sweet or innocent like most YA character´s. In fact, to a little city girl, Bliss is very very smart and she knows what she want and she don´t have afraid of speak and fight for her wishes.
As I said, Bliss grew up in a little town in Texas, where her only life option was study in the local school and work in the restaurant in the road. She is not the kind of girl who will stay crying and saying "oh, i am so unhappy", but inside her, she know she need a change, a new beginning.
In a regular day like all others, she was walking with her friend and she heard about a competition. A Derby Roller event. And in the same moment she saw these girls there, she knew that thing is to her, that thing represents her new beginning.
Bliss pass the test and after that she started in the team. IN this context she will prove all emotions she can imagine, but she will met too the jeaulous of other girls and betrayal and deception with the people which she once trust.
Is a fresh story, full of passion, emotion, and discover. A sensible story.
I like it very much, I could laugh with Bliss actions and feelings and I could feel touched by her maturity in face the sad facts on her way. And the story could keep me interested until the last page.
Is very hard don´t like or don´t feel connected with Bliss and her friends, her feelings. The end is pretty good and realist, the authour keep the quality until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derby Girl.

Started Reading