Jessica's Reviews > Until I Find You

Until I Find You by John Irving

When I first met with my thesis advisor in graduate school and told him I wanted to do my thesis on John Irving, he told me two things. The first was a sort of snobby view of Irving and all his work, which was, my advisor said, "the practice of writing the same book over and over again."

The next comment was full of envy and the desire to do exactly what Irving had done with Garp and The Cider House Rules. "If only I could do that myself," he said.

Well, yeah. And the truth is, I don't care what John Irving writes about, though I am in pretty clear and known territory with Until I Find You. Prostitutes, transvestites, absent fathers, controlling mothers, writers, wrestling, strangely strong and unique sibling relationships, and a lot of sex, death, and sorrow.

Love it.

John Iriving is smart and funny and a wonderful writer. I listened to this novel, and I was so sad when it was over. I had a moment of despair, really. the reader is amazing, but the story is deep, rich, interesting and though completely bizarre, true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until I Find You.

December 14, 2010 – Started Reading
December 14, 2010 – Shelved
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet Boreta So good to read you about Irving! Lovely bit about the advisor's prejudice and then envy. And one can say he writes the same book over and over, but it is all new and from different perspectives.
Thanks!
Janet Boreta

Jessica Thank you, Janet. This was a really wonderful book!

Best,

J

Janet wrote: "So good to read you about Irving! Lovely bit about the advisor's prejudice and then envy. And one can say he writes the same book over and over, but it is all new and from different perspectives...."