Elena's Reviews > The Royal Succession

The Royal Succession by Maurice Druon

19313082
4.5 stars.

I've waited so long to continue this series, and I was a total fool because The Royal Succession was a fantastic read, probably my favourite so far. I am so glad I got back into this world.

The story was great, it was full of political intrigue, scheming and engaging battles of wits. After Louis X's murder the country is in turmoil, and we mainly follow Philippe of Poitiers as he struggles to gain control, but there is also the storyline of the election of Pope Jean XXII, which was very fascinating.

Philippe might be my favourite character of the series, (view spoiler) Cunning, ambitious and resourceful, his dialogues are always a pleasure to read. It is true that he doesn't have much of a conscience, but he is not as bad as his mother-in-law Mahaut, whose ruthlessness reaches even higher levels in this book. However, she remains one of the most intriguing characters, and she reminds me more and more of Olenna Tyrell from ASOIAF.

The secondary plotline of Guccio and Marie (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Royal Succession.

July 30, 2015 – Shelved