Sue's Reviews > The Final Boundary: Short Stories and Parables

The Final Boundary by Adrian Plass

Jan 25, 2008

bookshelves: christian, fiction, read-2000, read-2016
Read from December 16 to 22, 2016 — I own a copy

This is a collection of short-stories, written as modern parables. They’re not all easy to understand, and should not be taken as direct analogies. Adrian Plass tells us in the introduction that a parable is ‘a story that entertains at the front door while the truth slips in through a side window’.

Some of the early stories are decidedly strange, and they’re all very different from each other. Quite a few have somewhat depressing themes, at first glance. There's a small boy who doesn't quite believe that his grandmother has died, a terminally ill patient reflecting on life with Jesus and cricket, the defendant at a murder case... perhaps the most obvious parable is one written in letter form, explaining why we're all supposed to climb Snowdon regularly.

The last story, ‘The Visit’ (which has been published elsewhere separately) is a rather longer one; it’s the story of ‘The Founder’ making a visit to a small town in the form of a man, confounding expectations and showing people the way he wants them to live. I very much liked this; but then Adrian Plass’s writing is always thought-provoking, making me smile and think in turn.

Overall I enjoyed re-reading this short story collection, and would recommend it in a low-key way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Boundary.