Dave Chesson's Reviews > Solarversia

Solarversia by Toby Downton

bookshelves: vr, virtual-reality, ya-sci-fi, ya-2015, ya-science-fiction

I got an advanced copy from the author in exchange for a review:

This book initially peaked my interest when I was told that if I liked Ready Player One, then I would like this. I think that is a fair assessment.

Although I found the first 20% a little slow, and had a hard time connecting with the main character, it wasn't until the Solarversia game really got going that I was hooked.

I loved the many different tests that the character had to solve and was pleasantly surprised that things really never turned out how I thought they would - sort of kept me on my toes. This also made it so that I never expected victories as well...if this hadn't of been the case, then this would have been a bland book...but each time I found strange surprises that always left me guessing.

Later on, it became evident why the author made the main character the way she was. There was a point...which was good to see. And over time I grew to like her and want her to win.

Furthermore, I loved how random facts played major parts latter in the story.

All in all, I gave it 5 stars because in each of the quests/tests, I was literally on the edge of my seat expecting her to lose. This amount of tension is extremely rare - especially in a self published book. So, to able to create such excitement in someone who is used to J.R.R Martin type scenarios, he deserved a 5 star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solarversia.

Started Reading