Ms. Yingling's Reviews > On the Run

On the Run by Tristan Bancks

E ARC from Netgalley

Ben enjoys making stop-action movies and is in the middle of one when the police show up at his door, asking for his parents. They are still at work, and Ben is watching his younger sister Olivia. When his parents do get home, they claim that they are going on an impromptu family vacation, whisk the children into the car and take off for a family cabin with a borrowed car and too few supplies. Ben knows that something is wrong, but plays along, since his parents are fighting a lot and the situation is scary in many ways. He and Olivia try to make the best of it, but when their parents leave suddenly, the two are worried. Eventually, the two are on their own, trying to get to their grandmother's house by surviving in the wilderness using tips from My Side of the Mountain. Ben knows his parents are in trouble and can't see how things will ever work out, even if he can manage to get the very ill Olivia to his grandmother's.
Strengths: Really good use of classic novel as an inspiration for a character; My Side of the Mountain is one of my favorites, and I'm glad it is still read... in Australia, too. This had a variety of survival elements, from finding food in the wild to escaping from the police. It's a nice length, too, and doesn't have the trouble with translation that sometimes plague Australian imports.
Weaknesses: I like my adventure novels to be a little more fun, and Ben and Olivia certainly weren't having fun. When I got done reading this, I felt like I needed a shower, and some lines about Ben's grandmother's cookie jar having cat hairs and possibly weevils.... ewww. Good writing, yes, but I don't enjoy being skeeved out!
What I really think: Haven't had much in the way of fresh new survival novels lately, so think I will buy this, weevils or no!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Run.

Started Reading
July 30, 2015 – Shelved
July 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Braylin (new) - added it

Braylin Keller Her name is Olive, not Olivia.