Jude's Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

Dec 13, 2010

did not like it

I’ve heard a lot of gushing and good reviews about this novel, and that it has a lot of similarities to Sarah Dessen’s stories. Well, let me tell you, I do NOT agree, and I’m a HUGE fan of Sarah Dessen, and to compare it with her works? To be honest I find it insulting, even if Sarah Dessen herself said that this story was great, I just didn’t feel it. And it's not because I had a lot of expectations of the book, I swear I had never heard of it, but it seemed interesting, and it had a 30% off.

Belly is a great character, she is very easy to relate too, she’s a 16-year old that's trying to find herself and she has always been in love with this one guy, and now she sees a possibility with him. I really did like Belly, but I just didn’t like Conrad- Conrad being the guy she’s in love with, I found him to be a really annoying character, and sometimes he was plain rude to Belly, and to me, he acted childish, even though he was the oldest and most “mature” between him, his brother – Jem – and Belly. And yes, at the end Conrad does look at Belly like more than a friend, but I really think she practically forced him, and I never understood her attraction to him. A lot more goes through Belly’s summer, she develops a few other crushes and suffers a few situations that were very hard.

The story has a lot of flashbacks of old summer memories of Belly, I just find long flashbacks completely annoying and total turnoffs, I set the book aside at least four times, and then picked it up again just to see if it would get any better. It didn't.

And as for the end, I was like, What?! The whole story, the freakishly annoying flashbacks, and her struggles, for THIS! It's not even a real ending and it leaves tons of questions unanswered! That's when I found out that it was a series, but not even the bad ending (for me of course) will be enough to make me read the next one.

Maybe I’m wrong and crazy, and it’s the best book ever. I’ve just seen way too many good reviews, the curious thing is that all the good reviews I’ve read are from older people, I suppose it reminds them of when they were young. I simply didn’t found it great. I’ll leave this book to you guys, you should read it and make your own opinion, I just never found the spark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.

02/21/2016 marked as: read

Carina =( I actually really liked this book and the sequel...to bad it wasnt your 'cup of tea' ;)

message 2: by Jude (new) - rated it 1 star

Jude Carina wrote: "=( I actually really liked this book and the sequel...to bad it wasnt your 'cup of tea' ;)"

I know All my friends liked it, ALL. I've read the thing like, 3 times i swear Trying to like it... and dang it, its just not for me u_u

Melannie :) I didn't like this one either, and I got accused of being the only one who didn't like it. Now I see that there's two of us. *highfive*

message 4: by Jude (new) - rated it 1 star

Jude Melannie wrote: "I didn't like this one either, and I got accused of being the only one who didn't like it. Now I see that there's two of us. *highfive*"

I know right? it seems like everyone except me liked it. I had to pick up my shield to place this review xD

Shanan I didn't mind this book in particular--but I really did not like the series as it continued.

Dani I thought I was the only one. Nice to know I'm not alone :)

Pretty in Fiction Personally, I'm one of the ones who loved it. I can see how some people might not be fans though. Belly can be whiny and immature and in the first two books Conrad is kind of a jerk to her (and everyone really). I think that's sort of the point of the series though. By book three the characters are more grown up and by the end, at least, you get to see them finally making mature decisions. These books drove me insane. Yelling at the books, crying because of dumb decisions. But I think in the end that's why I loved them so much :)

message 8: by Jude (new) - rated it 1 star

Jude Pretty in Fiction wrote: "Personally, I'm one of the ones who loved it. I can see how some people might not be fans though. Belly can be whiny and immature and in the first two books Conrad is kind of a jerk to her (and eve..."

hmmmm I hadn't thought of it that way, maybe I should give book two a chance though, the more I think about it the more curious I get about how the series ends.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been awhile since I read this, but there's like a big change toward the end of book 2..I think it was..or the beginning of book 3. It really surprised me..I don't know if it would anyone else though!

Melannie :) Jude wrote: "Pretty in Fiction wrote: "Personally, I'm one of the ones who loved it. I can see how some people might not be fans though. Belly can be whiny and immature and in the first two books Conrad is kind..."

I didn't read them but I know how they end... don't read them! D: (haha, no seriously)

message 11: by Jude (new) - rated it 1 star

Jude Melannie :) wrote: "Jude wrote: "Pretty in Fiction wrote: "Personally, I'm one of the ones who loved it. I can see how some people might not be fans though. Belly can be whiny and immature and in the first two books C..."

lol, I am now confused on whether or not to read them D:!

Pretty in Fiction Jude wrote: "Melannie :) wrote: "Jude wrote: "Pretty in Fiction wrote: "Personally, I'm one of the ones who loved it. I can see how some people might not be fans though. Belly can be whiny and immature and in t..."

I say give the second book a try. If you still don't like them then it's no big loss. But I'd definitely recommend reading the rest of the series. I don't think it's possible to get the full impact of the series by reading just one or two of the books.

Stacie I couldn't agree more with you. I didn't really know people had compared it to Sarah Dessen books, but it was nothing like it at all.

One of the things I love about Sara Dessen is her characters love interests in the books never make her stray too far from the actually main story. If you know what I mean. There is a depth to her books that is just incredible and well this was basically just a book about a self centered boy who happens to be the apple of a self centered girl. It was all focused on her turning pretty or her love for this one or that one and even though it had underline issue in the book that had lots of potential, they were never really brought to the surface much
Bottom line is I didn't really like this book either which is a shame because I felt it could have been good at times if it was just written better.

Davina In my opinion, these books blow Sarah Dessen's work out of the water, undoubtedly!

Katie I agree with you. Sarah Dessen's books are full of imagery. Her characters are well written. . .it's like you're THERE! These books do not compare whatsoever. The flashbacks were annoying, the MC is a total brat, the lack of sensory detail in the writing is a turn off. I don't know if I'll be purchasing the next book in the series or if I'll just move onto something else.