Jamie's Reviews > The Rowan

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

Dec 13, 2010

bookshelves: sci-fi

Originally read: Many years ago (early/mid 90's)
Re-read: Sept 2016

This was the first book I ever read by Anne Mccaffrey. And I was hooked from the very beginning! A great science fiction with just a touch of romance. Well, more romance in the second half I should say. The series focuses heavily on telepathy, and psychokinesis. Those that have these abilities are known as Talents. Rowan is one such person.

The story starts the the girl (to be known as Rowan) at a very young age. This book follows her training as a talent and continues through her young adult years. The Rowan is found to be one of the strongest Talents (known as T1 Primes). Her only companion (besides her 'mentor/guardian/ Siglen)was a toy cat named Purza. She remembers nothing of her past prior to being found by the Talents. Her journey is a great one to read. There is tragedy and friendship.

I think I liked this a bit more the first time I read this. I was able to gloss over the romantic aspects more as a younger child and also somehow I seemed to have understood what was going on better then. I felt a little lost on the Sci-fi aspect at first. Still I really enjoy the book and it has a permanent home on my shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rowan.

December 13, 2010 – Shelved