Lisa's Reviews > Dead Clever

Dead Clever by Scarlett Thomas

Having read more of Thomas' literary works, and seeing she has a new novel out The Seed Collectors, I decided to go read her earlier stuff.

Some things I found intriguing about the book was the set up of the murder, the normalcy of Lily and the complexities of the characters, how contemporary the book read even though it was 18 years old, and that it was placed somewhere other than a large city in England AND she was kind enough to give us a geographical map of the areas Lily ventured to by directions so we could get a sense of the isolation of the west country.

With all of that being said, I had a few problems with the book such as the use of "I" that began nearly every paragraph. Yes, it's a first person point of view but good lord woman, do you need to start every sentence, or nearly every sentence, with "I"? Yes, apparently so. The second issue was the constant use of smoking as plot device. I swear to deity Lily smoked from the time she used the bathroom in the morning until she fell asleep at night. Her lungs must be black as coal. (Not that I'm opposed to smoking but using it to move the plot along was a bit gauche.)

But the good outweighs the bad and I tend to agree with most of the reviewers here that even though this wasn't up to Thomas snuff, there is something compelling about her writing (and I agree with nod to Kate Atkinson) that propels you to want to read more. Now that is interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Clever.

July 26, 2015 – Started Reading