Jep's Reviews > Armed & Magical

Armed & Magical by Lisa Shearin

Dec 13, 2010

it was ok
Read in December, 2010

I used to like Felicia Day; I saw an interview she did, via IM telephony, wearing her WoW wireless headset. I mean, c'mon! Cool! Self-employed and not ashamed of it. Hardworking, makes her own opportunities!

Looked her up on goodreads, which she pimped. She recommended this, under the most bizarre category ever invented — 'vaginal fantasy'. Seriously.

What it is is humdrum romance-with-pointy-ears-and-magic.

Lisa Shearin knows one thing fairly well: pacing. Lisa Shearin sets 4 books in the space of a month and a half; that's a woman who's aware of today's attention span. So it's gogogo, then the slow-mo pan across titillating/romantic sections, then gogogo, then PLOTTWISTOMG, then slow-mo pan, then gogogo, etc., etc.

Raine Benares is selfish (but not really!), common (but beautiful and has red hair!), feisty (can use a sword!), sexually aware (talks about how hunky her men are!) and mouthy (but can't talk around Hunk #1 (Jock) and Hunk #2 (Nerd).

*peers* Is that a harlequin I see capering in the corner?

The rules of the universe are never laid out, never expanded on, and Raine just gets more and more 'powerful' while the antagonists and enemies get more and more dumb. Too many IRL crossovers ('crap', giving someone the finger, Demonology for Dummies), for it to be anything other than humdrum romance-with-pointy-ears-and-magic. Sometimes I chuckled out loud.

Two stars for Ms. Shearin for following Writing the Breakout Novel to a T.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armed & Magical.

08/05/2016 marked as: read