Erika 's Reviews > The Billionaire's Obsession ~ Simon

The Billionaire's Obsession ~ Simon by J.S. Scott
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
34672935


4 stars!

Very enjoyable, sexy story with a great hero and heroine. I really loved both Simon and Kara. I am usually pretty tough to please with heroines, but Kara was totally and completely likable, start to finish. Simon was a fantastic hero; he was obsessive, protective, possessive, generous, affectionate and sexy.

My only complaint has to do with one small OW scene which I know was included to bring some drama. Nevertheless, it irked me. (view spoiler)

Despite that one thing (for me lately, there always is something since I have become SO picky), this was overall a really romantic, sweet, sexy read. I definitely recommend it!

EXTRA THOUGHT: I see that many reviewers said this was like 50 Shades of Grey. Ummm.......I only read book 1 in that series but this was literally NOTHING like FSOG. I can only assume those reviewers don't regularly read romance and so they lump any romance in with it. There is one scene involving the hero securing the heroine to the bed with fur-lined cuffs. He has no desire to inflict pain ever. He does not expect a woman to act like a submissive. I don't have a clue what those reviewers are talking about! The only things in common are that he is a billionaire alpha with a tragic background that has impacted his sexual behavior/needs.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Billionaire's Obsession ~ Simon.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

July 28, 2015 – Shelved
July 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: hero-i-loved
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: heroine-i-loved
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: protective-hero
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: rich-hero
July 29, 2015 – Shelved as: safe-with-exception
July 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 28, 2015 – Shelved as: perfect-hero-never-wavers
February 17, 2016 – Shelved as: insta-love-or-lust

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)


message 1: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC Glad you liked it! That spoiler scene reminded me how dislikable his brother was in this book!


Erika Oh yeah, Sam was a total creep!!! I have no desire whatsoever to read his book, no matter what his sob story is. I don't think I will fall for his "poor me, something bad happened and now I have to go through life as a billionaire playboy, charming and screwing endless women."


message 3: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC He really was s creep! I have to admit that I did not hate his book. But that was in the past. No way would I even bother with it now. Maybe I could understand why he dumped her. But to never look her up over the years? That makes no sense to me. Plus her lack of sex life. Yep that screams No Way!!!


Erika That is so ridiculous, that Maddy has no sex life while he has probably screwed hundreds and hundreds of women.

And I agree, if he really wanted her, he should have looked her up over the years. No way am I reading it!


message 5: by Soonya (new)

Soonya I'm glad you liked it Erika! There is sweet Christmas novella about them as well with kids! :)

Regarding Sam:
He wasn't a man-whore though. He slept only with women who were redheads and it wasn't that often(that reminded him of h, all those women he was seen with weren't his lovers). Plus he never let another woman touch him, like give him BJ and enjoy his body. Well,at least she had one guy LOL For some reason I really liked Sam's story(which is super weird) and he did look her up. When he showed up to get her back once his situation was done, she was in relationship with her ex and he thought she was happy. He decided not to break it for her. And he never really moved on. I'm surprised I liked it so much giving the fact that it's second chance LMAO And they never had sex in the past,


message 6: by Soonya (new)

Soonya Here is the part where he talks about his past, by the way we never see his OW and there is no drama with any ex (view spoiler)


Erika Thanks Soonya! It helps that he many of the women he was seen with weren't people he slept with. It also helps that he did check in with her once. Hmmm...I don't know. Maybe I will read it at some point. Gotta think on it!


Deserie williams I too enjoyed his book:) not as much as kades but it was a good safe read:)


Deserie williams don't quote me on the safe part I don't remember how safe.lol but it couldn't be that bad because I remember liking it:)


message 10: by Soonya (new)

Soonya Deserie it was safe :D

I think you'll like it Erika because he did have good reasons to leave her all those years ago and he did had very bad experience as a child. So he allowed her to touch him, which another woman never had privallege to do :) Although I can see why you can have issues with it. I wished she had more than one bf, but then they were into each other so much I didn't care. I read a year ago though, and back then I was more ok with that trope LOL


message 11: by Maayan (last edited Jul 30, 2015 02:15AM) (new) - added it

Maayan Lovely review darling!

The exception is the reason i didn't read this one yet... I mean, first she's wrapping her arms around Simon's neck... By now i would expect him to push her off. What he do? Let her cling to him. Hear her proposition. Let her put her lips over his mouth. He could have pushed her away LONG TIME AGO if he wanted. While reading this scene, knowing how my mind works LOL, i know for sure i would have doubt his whole love and committing to her. The fact that he never bring up the incident would annoy me too. The brother had to reassure her? Like, WTF. Sorry, but it something i would like to know, especially if iv'e already seen it. I have a really strong aversion with heroes who let OW kiss them. Like, you supposed to be the MAN. The strong one. How can you let it happen? But then again.. Maybe It's just me. LOL Stuff like that can make me DNF instantly.


message 12: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC Maayan wrote: "Lovely review darling!

The exception is the reason i didn't read this one yet... I mean, first she's wrapping her arms around Simon's neck... By now i would expect him to push her off. What he do..."


I really do not think the woman got to kiss him. She jumped him on purpose and it surprised him. (I think Sam set it up) He did push her away. You would never doubt Simon! There was so much drama around what Sam did to her at the same party that there was no opportunity to talk about it. If she let him, I have no doubt Simon would have been on his knees begging.


message 13: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Great review Erika! Now I'm a little scared to read it. That scene will piss me off! And they never discuss it? If I saw a guy I was with in that situation I would certainly ask him what the heck he was thinking. It isn't hard to pull away from someone as soon as they garb you.


message 14: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Grab! Not garb :)


message 15: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan I get what you say CC.. If she was kidding him out of the blue, I would probably would feel better. I would still be mad, but I'll let it go way more easily. But here, it looks like she had conversation with him while her arms were wrapped around his neck. This ALONE is upsetting. The fact that she kissed him too after that is what make it worse. He let her near him long enough so she could do something like that. It's not a sadden kiss.. It's a slow process until the kiss LOL. Anyways, it only shows that even thought we are ALL SAFE READERS, each one of us has their own set of triggers LOL .. It's fun to discover everyone limits ;))


message 16: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan ** kissing


message 17: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Wonderful review, Erika! Sounds like a really good book! Is the heroine a virgin?


message 18: by Soonya (new)

Soonya Aayesha wrote: "Wonderful review, Erika! Sounds like a really good book! Is the heroine a virgin?"

No, she had one bf before him. But it was a long time for her :)


message 19: by Soonya (last edited Jul 30, 2015 07:10AM) (new)

Soonya Maayan wrote: "I get what you say CC.. If she was kidding him out of the blue, I would probably would feel better. I would still be mad, but I'll let it go way more easily. But here, it looks like she had convers..."

To be honest I felt like that scene with OW was out of the blue and was put there to make introduction to Simon's brother. It made no sense( because Simon wanted only for h) and it was never discussed before. If anything, that scene made Kara understand Sam more and it introduced the love story between Sam and his h. This scene wasn't needed at all.


message 20: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Soonya wrote: "Aayesha wrote: "Wonderful review, Erika! Sounds like a really good book! Is the heroine a virgin?"

No, she had one bf before him. But it was a long time for her :)"


Thanks, Soonya!


message 21: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan Hahaha yeah. I wish the author would have thought about a more creative method to introduce us Sam instead of using OW. All it did (in my eyes at least) is lessen the love story. Shame. The book sounds divine without this stupid scene LOL


Erika So with that scene, I knew the author was using it to create conflict/separation, but it didn't work for me because it wasn't plausible that Simon could not get away from that woman. I mean, seriously, if my husband was at a party and a woman was putting her arms around his neck and asking to have sex, I would expect him to extract himself IMMEDIATELY by removing the woman's arms and saying "I am married and have no interest." The scene in this book lasted a little too long for me to understand. Why was Simon not getting away from her? He was actually at the party with Kara. He wasn't a single man anymore.

Anyway, I wrote it off as author manipulation. As I said, authors do this kind of thing all of the time. What they don't consider is that we, the readers, really feel something about the characters -- and those scenes reflect on the characters. This one did not make sense for Simon -- or I would have to believe that Simon was either (a) a wimp who didn't want to hurt the OW feelings or (b) really didn't mind or see a problem with the woman touching and trying to kiss him.


message 23: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan Erika wrote: "So with that scene, I knew the author was using it to create conflict/separation, but it didn't work for me because it wasn't plausible that Simon could not get away from that woman. I mean, serio..."

I feel the same..:/


message 24: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Erika wrote: "So with that scene, I knew the author was using it to create conflict/separation, but it didn't work for me because it wasn't plausible that Simon could not get away from that woman. I mean, serio..."

I kind of like it when authors do that ;) It makes up some delicious, painful angst, makes me hate the heroes more - and I love to hate the heroes, that's what makes a book good imo ;D

Yeah, don't mind me, one big train wreck lover right here ;D


message 25: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan Aayesha wrote: "Erika wrote: "So with that scene, I knew the author was using it to create conflict/separation, but it didn't work for me because it wasn't plausible that Simon could not get away from that woman...."

XDXDXDXDXDXD Oh the sweet angst..... *Dreamy eyes*


Erika haha Aayesha! Well, I don't think you are alone in liking it; that is why authors write like that -- it pleases more readers than it displeases.

If you haven't read this, you probably should. I think you would like it! :-D


Deserie williams lol I don't remember that scene that well. but did she really kiss him for that long?I can't imagine him letting go that long


Erika Deserie, I doubt it lasted long. From Kara's point of view she saw them standing there, the OW's arms around his neck, then the OW took a hold of his head and pulled his lips down to hers to kiss. This wasn't a fast grab and kiss. lol. Ah well, again, just a writer machination even if it didn't really make sense and definitely reflects badly on Simon's character.

I imagine he pushed her way pretty quickly but we never really get any details other than knowing she stormed off in a huff because Simon refused her.


message 29: by Soonya (new)

Soonya It was never clear because it was from h's POV and she ran away LOL


message 30: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC Deserie wrote: "lol I don't remember that scene that well. but did she really kiss him for that long?I can't imagine him letting go that long"i

I really do not believe she got her mouth on him! Kara took off before and all we hear later is that the woman came in looking mad and Simon was frantic to find Kara. I really do not think Simon let her kiss him. When Sam explained to Kara that Simon had always been monogamous, plus he would never sleep with a married woman (which this woman was), and the woman came in looking mad, Kara seemed to be ok with that. It never came up because she never said anything to Simon about it. He would not know that she saw anything unless Sam told him. But at that point something traumatic happens and I doubt Sam ever mentioned it. I think it is being made out to be a bigger deal than it was. If she had brought it up, I have no doubt Simon would have given her the details.


message 31: by Soonya (last edited Jul 30, 2015 09:26AM) (new)

Soonya I think I didn't care about that scene that much because:
1. Simon was faithful the minute he saw her, which meant he was celibate for more than a year when she had no idea he existed.
2. She was the first woman to touch him and that he loved.
3. He was just so crazy about her LOL
It actually goes with his character, he was geeky after all and had alpha persona only with Kara. Maybe he needed a moment to process everything or he was stunned that he used to sleep with greedy women like that which were nothing like Kara.


message 32: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Erika wrote: "haha Aayesha! Well, I don't think you are alone in liking it; that is why authors write like that -- it pleases more readers than it displeases.

If you haven't read this, you probably should. I ..."


Non-virgin heroines are a hard limit for me, so I don't think I could xD


Erika Lol. I like your reasoning Soonya. Like both of you, I just tried to forget it the scene and write it off. I think it would have been better if Scott had stopped it with the woman's arms around his neck and not said she brought his head down to kiss but ah well. The book was still really good, and I loved Simon. He was a terrific hero. I loved Kara too.


message 34: by Soonya (new)

Soonya Aayesha wrote: "Erika wrote: "haha Aayesha! Well, I don't think you are alone in liking it; that is why authors write like that -- it pleases more readers than it displeases.

If you haven't read this, you prob..."


She had only one bf and it was 5 years ago and the guy was bad in bed :D So she was almost a virgin. Comes to mind Madonna's song ''Like a virgin'' LMAO


Erika haha Soonya. She was close enough to virgin status for sure.


message 36: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Erika wrote: "haha Soonya. She was close enough to virgin status for sure."

Soonya wrote: "Aayesha wrote: "Erika wrote: "haha Aayesha! Well, I don't think you are alone in liking it; that is why authors write like that -- it pleases more readers than it displeases.

If you haven't rea..."


Yes, but it does make a big difference to me. I like the hero to be the heroine's one and only lover. Y'all get me? Like, I don't want anyone else in the heroine's life but the hero. That's why I like the trope unrequited love from the heroine's side so much


message 37: by Soonya (new)

Soonya I used to love it as well back when romances didn't have OW sex scenes with hero, after that I felt sorry when h was a virgin.
Although I always liked the idea when you have your one and only,sweet. :)

You can check my virgin shelf if you like virgin heroines, maybe you'll find something there that you will like :)


Erika Aayesha, lots of women like that. I like virgin heroines too, but not when they are paired with men who are manwhores/players/rakes/womanizers. I hate when the hero has been intimate with hundreds of women, and therefore, the heroine is nothing special (or new) sexually for him. I want it to be special for BOTH the hero and heroine.

This book was great though because Simon had been celibate for a year, and there were many things he had never done with another woman that he ended up doing with Kara. It was definitely new and special for both of them. :-)


Deserie williams lol ok. so h never mentioned anything to H but then why did H go frantically looking for her?I really don't remember this.lol


Deserie williams I need to reread this soon:)I know I loved Simon but I'm really wondering about that scene. in thinking it didn't bother me too much.


message 41: by Soonya (new)

Soonya Deserie, I was re-reading it few days ago and fell in love with Simon all over again :D and their christmas novella as well :)


Erika Deserve, the scene really isn't that bad so I can see how you didn't really remember it. There was never any doubt as to Simons feelings and commitment to Kara.


Erika Stupid autocorrect.

Deserie, not Deserved.


Erika Oh, to answer your question: he went frantically looking for her because Sam must have told him how he hit on her and she ran off. Then Simon beats up Sam and goes looking for Kara.


message 45: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC ok I just re-read it. It does not say frantically looking. Just that she came in angry and Simon was already gone. That coming from Sam. After Kara takes off from the party, Simon is frantic and he believes she has done so because of Sam. Never does he think it is b/w of the OW. That tells me that it was nothing to worry about. He never has a clue she saw anything upsetting. All I can say is that it did not and still does not bother me. It is a minor part of the story and if the heroine is satisfied with Sam's explanation, then I am too. All that plus Simon is crazy for her, hates being touched, he would not have let that woman actually kiss him.


message 46: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Soonya wrote: "I used to love it as well back when romances didn't have OW sex scenes with hero, after that I felt sorry when h was a virgin.
Although I always liked the idea when you have your one and only,sweet..."


Thank you Soonya, I will definitely check it out!

Really? Novels have sex scenes with OW while the hero is with the heroine? :O That's so horrible, I hate books like that. But tbh, I'm a lot more lenient with heroes than I am with heroine's lol xD

Although, I wouldn't forgive cheating on the heroine while they are together, that's just awful :/


message 47: by Aayesha (new)

Aayesha Khatri Erika wrote: "Aayesha, lots of women like that. I like virgin heroines too, but not when they are paired with men who are manwhores/players/rakes/womanizers. I hate when the hero has been intimate with hundred..."

Really? I actually like that trope *blush* It's because the hero is so used to women and having an innocent, virgin heroine is something new to him, and also I live May-December romances, where the hero is much more older and experienced, cynical and jaded, and the heroine is young and sweet and innocent, and is like a breath of fresh air to him, and changes him completely, teaches him how to live again.

But virgin heroes have got their appeal too! And because I'm Muslim, we don't have relationship before marriage since it's not allowed, so whoever I marry will also be a virgin, so I'm prepared for that :P


message 48: by Maayan (new) - added it

Maayan Hmm I get what you say, but letting her put her arms around his neck while he hate to be touched is weird.. I dunno. It feels like this whole scene is so out of character of his. He sounds so obsessed for the h and can't stand to be touched, but he let this ow put her arms around his neck... It's definitely touching.. I dunno. Lol. I hate when things isn't fitting in my head, like, out of character behaviors that doesn't make sense. It's shaking my whole reading balance. I'm weird like that XD


Deserie williams Thank you Erika and Soonya:)


message 50: by Aayesha (last edited Jul 30, 2015 10:21AM) (new)

Aayesha Khatri Maayan wrote: "Hmm I get what you say, but letting her put her arms around his neck while he hate to be touched is weird.. I dunno. It feels like this whole scene is so out of character of his. He sounds so obses..."

Naw Maayan, plot holes and things that don't add up and don't make sense undermine the story and the plot, and the way we view the author in our eyes! I'm also so particular about everything, I hate plot holes! Everything has to add up and make sense, otherwise I won't think as much of the story or the author. The only one I let off the hook on this is Diana Palmer, because her stories are just so beautiful and perfect in everything else, I abso love her. I don't care that she is cheesy and over the top and dramatic, her romances are beautiful, they are exactly what I want in a romance novel.


« previous 1
back to top