Michelle Hauck's Reviews > A Murder of Mages

A Murder of Mages by Marshall Ryan Maresca

bookshelves: fantasy

I have to admit that I haven't read any of the author's other series and that might have put me at a disadvantage in knowing how the world worked. It took me a few extra steps to orient myself to the magic and the characters, but once I did I was intrigued.

Satrine practices a deception to get on the constabulary force. With her husband's illness, it's the only way she can keep her family together and under a roof. She is partnered with Minox, an usual and dedicated inspector. Their first case, the gruesome murder of a mage. When the murders keep coming, they're sure a pattern exists behind the deaths but at a loss to discover it. Minox's uncircled magic is often more of hindrance, putting them both at risk as they confront the killer.

This story honestly felt more like a detective story than a fantasy. There's a little light magic thrown in, but it's very subtle. Yet the world if very involved and detailed: dialects, religions, variety of people and cultures. This is world building at it's best. So we actually get the best of both worlds: a mystery set inside a fantasy. It's a great twist on the usual fantasy story.

I found the characters thoughtful and interesting. And if I didn't exactly love them at first sight, I did grow to like and admire them and care about the outcome. And that outcome kept me guessing in a good way.

I would read more just to find out how the relationship of Minox and Satrine progresses. It's kind of a relief to have a male/female working relationship without the romance.

I received this story from NetGalley for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Murder of Mages.

July 28, 2015 – Started Reading