Rose's Reviews > The Journeyman

The Journeyman by Michael Alan Peck

bookshelves: fantasy, goodforyoungteens, netgalley

If I were given this book and not told beforehand who wrote it, my closest guess to who the author might be would be Neil Gaiman. The writing styles are different but the landscapes and creatures found within are from equally large imaginations.

We begin the story a little ahead of ourselves. Paul lies, apparently dead, on a snowy hill. We do ultimately go back in time to see how got Paul to this point. But to take a concept from the Princess Bride, ‘He is not dead, he is just mostly dead’. Paul wakes up on that hill to a broken apart bus, bodies strewn about and the sounds of what he initially thought were rescuers, but in fact were there to collect the dead. You don’t even realize this is a fantasy story until a man named Porter appears and saves Paul by making them reappear somewhere else.

Paul soon learns that he now exists in a kind of purgatory and must take a journey through it. This will determine where his essence (spirit) will go after this stage, but as is mentioned a couple of times in the story, he is not necessarily dead. Along the way, they join up with a monk named Po, a mummy named Ken and a girl named Rain. This would have been a fun journey with just this group but within this purgatory a being is stealing the essences to give himself power. He’s now got his sights on Paul.

It was an interesting read that I think young teens and adults of all ages would enjoy. As I mentioned, it is similar to the fantastical writings of Gaiman so you have to be prepared for crazy landscapes, weird characters and the total suspension of disbelief.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journeyman.

July 28, 2015 – Started Reading