Ally's Reviews > The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays

The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays by Oscar Wilde

Dec 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, university

This collection offers newly edited texts of Lady Windermere's Fan, A Woman of No Importance, Salome, An Ideal Husband, and, arguably the greatest farcical comedy in English, The Importance of Being Earnest. I bought this collection of plays primary as it was one of the texts in my class and secondly because I've never read/watched any of Oscar Wilde's plays.

I've only read An Ideal Husband, so this review will only be about An Ideal Husband and it's going to be an extremely short review, as I didn't think much of it.

I've come to realise that I really dislike reading plays because I'm never sure how they are meant to be read, how characters are meant to come across, even with side notes and prompts from the actor/actress I still feel that I'm missing a lot of important information and partly because of this I've given An Ideal Husband such a low mark.

I enjoyed the wit and humor used in An Ideal Husband, and they way Lady Chiltern and Mrs Chevely spoke to each other. But after a while I really did start to get annoyed by the whole play and was counting down the pages I had left so I could be finished with the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays.