Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Me Before You

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Jul 27, 2015

bookshelves: own, favorites

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

First before I freak clean out with all of my spoilers and gifs and such, let me calmly say that I loved the part where Will and Nathan were watching one of my favorite movies of all time. Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

NOW LET ME GO ON TO THE FREAKING REVIEW AFTER I HAVE DRIED MY TEARS AND YES THERE WILL BE SPOILERS SO DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT!

I have laughed, I have cried, I have loved this book! Why did it take me so long to get to it!!?

Lou is such a beautiful person, I just loved her and I want her as my best friend, her and Sugar from another book. Anyway, Lou loses her job at the cafe (The Buttered Bun) that she worked at for 6 years.. was it 6 years? anyway, a long time. See her boss was going back to his country to take care of family and closing the shop. She goes looking for some other jobs because she helps her family with bills. She's 27 and lives with her mom, dad, sister, sister's child, and grandpa and times are tough. There are some times in the book that I wanted to smack her whole family by the way they treated her, but overall they really loved each other and they were all a hoot in their own way.

Speaking of hoot, Lou is freaking hilarious just being herself. I am going to post a few excerpts, but let me backtrack...

Lou finally has one last offer from the agency on a job to take care of a guy during the day. Lou is leery of this as she doesn't want to be wiping no butts and such. Fortunately for her( or not depending on what you think of the ending) it's not a butt wiping position. She is supposed to sit with Will, try to make him happy, give him his meds, feed him, that sort of thing. He has Nathan a medical care dude to take care of all that stuff.

Oh, well I guess I should have said Will is a quadriplegic. Man, this book is so good and has me so all over the place with this review! I know I'm going to leave something out.

Now, Will is all snarky and pissed off when we first meet him but he soon warms up to Lou. He finds her funny as well.. Oh, let me add a couple of excerpts.

♣♣♣♣♣

I swallowed, staring at it, and slowly lifted my eyes to his. Those few seconds were the longest I could remember.
"Can that thing get a puncture?" I said, finally, nodding at his wheelchair. "Because I have no idea where I would the put the jack."

"He's talking a bit more too. We've had weeks where he would hardly say a thing, but he's definitely up for a bit of a chat the last few days."
I thought of Will telling me if I didn't stop bloody whistling he'd be forced to run me over. "I think your definition of chatty and mine are a bit different."

♣♣♣♣♣

There is a funny part in the book where Lou starts getting Will to go out on little trips. They end up at some wine place and while he is sipping and spitting wine and talking it up with the owner Lou is wandering around. Will says something about Lou joining them and she says she can't, that her mom taught her it was rude to spit. Well, you hear the crickets while they stared at her. I liked to have cracked a rib laughing. I can't do the excerpt because I forgot to write the page number down. :) Anyway, there are a lot of funny little moments, nothing mind blowing but it just flows with the book and it's not so dismal.

Okay so there is a reason that Lou is really there and when she finds out she quits but gets called back in... she decides she's going to try to cheer Will up and get him out. So, like I said they started going on outings and some are disasters, but some are magical.

I totally get Will's point of view. Because (view spoiler)

Just ahhhhhhh... I want to say, but I can't. Lou gets online and talks to some other quads and their caregivers to get ideas.

Oh, I forgot to mention Lou has a boyfriend named Patrick she has been with for 6 years, I'm not sure why because he's not her type. Glad that ran it's course. So.. moving on, Lou books a trip for her, Patrick and Nathan to go do some extreme stuff and hang out at the beach. They almost weren't able to go because Will ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. I think Nathan said in the book it happens about once a month or something puts him in the hospital once a month or so. But they end up getting to go anyway. They have such a good time and some really sweet things are said.... then.. it just wasn't enough.. I was just devastated. I understand, but I was just devastated at the end. I knew what Will was going to do for Lou too, I mean anyone who reads the book will know that.

I just have to say, I really loved this book and am grateful for GR and GR friends because I have branched out more in reading different books and might have missed this gem, even though it broke my wittle heart :-(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Before You.

July 27, 2015 – Shelved
page 9
page 17
page 29
page 55
14.91% "I really like Lou, she is funny. I feel bad about her family stuff though. But she's a good lady!"
page 66
17.89% "Omg! Lou is cracking me up! I want her as a friend :-)"
page 78
21.14% "Night night, want to keep reading but eyes are closing!"
December 21, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
December 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Holy crow! It's a good thing I keep tissues right next to me. This book!!

Jennifer Masterson Great review Melissa! I read the ending to this book late at night and woke my husband up because I was sobbing so loudly! He's a deep sleeper too! Lol!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Stephanie wrote: "I love your review, Melissa!!!!"

Thank you so much. I still can't get over the end. It broke my heart :-(

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Jennifer wrote: "Great review Melissa! I read the ending to this book late at night and woke my husband up because I was sobbing so loudly! He's a deep sleeper too! Lol!"

Omg! I can imagine!! I thought I was going to keel over :-(

Have you or anyone read any of her other books? This is my first by this author.

message 5: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Totally made me want to read it all over again!
Great review!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you E. I can't believe how good this was, I mean I heard it was but holy... I still can't get over it :-(

Have you read any of this authors other books?

message 7: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 21, 2015 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Masterson Melissa wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Great review Melissa! I read the ending to this book late at night and woke my husband up because I was sobbing so loudly! He's a deep sleeper too! Lol!"

Omg! I can imagine!! I th..."

Yes. Now I know others who like her other books. The only other book of hers that I liked was "One Plus One". It's a bit predictable but it's sweet and totally worth the read. I tried a couple others that just didn't do it for me. One of those most people like is "Ship Of Brides" but it didn't work for me and I DNFed it. Oh and some people loved "The Girl you Left Behind." I haven't read that one yet.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I will look into those then. Thank you :-). I don't really want to read the sequel to this one because of all the negative reviews. I think this one says it all

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 21, 2015 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Masterson Melissa wrote: "I will look into those then. Thank you :-). I don't really want to read the sequel to this one because of all the negative reviews. I think this one says it all"

I'm not sure whether to read it or not. I have it at home but every time I think of cracking it open something stops me. Maybe I'll retread this one!

message 10: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. I have "One Plus One" on my TBR list, but so far no others appeal to me (even the book 2 in this series)

Suzanne How did I miss this one Melissa! Lovely review and I'm glad another of my friends loves this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Jennifer wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I will look into those then. Thank you :-). I don't really want to read the sequel to this one because of all the negative reviews. I think this one says it all"

I'm not sure wheth..."

I broke down and read some spoilers on it and I don't know if I want to ruin this books image with what I read. I don't know.

message 13: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. I agree, the end of this one was a good enough ending. No series needed.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin E. wrote: "I have "One Plus One" on my TBR list, but so far no others appeal to me (even the book 2 in this series)"

Let me know when you read them! I might look into getting more of them or some from the library. I bought this one a few months ago when I kept seeing such good reviews! :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Suzanne wrote: "How did I miss this one Melissa! Lovely review and I'm glad another of my friends loves this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you Suzanne. Oh I love it so much. That reminds me, I need to add it to my favorites shelf :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin E. wrote: "I agree, the end of this one was a good enough ending. No series needed."

Good Lord, I switched from computer to phone so I could lay down and I thought you said you had a bunch on your list. Lol. Going back to the tiny words on the phone, who knows what I will read :D

I really want to read more about Lou but I just don't think I can do it. It's too hard to imagine after this one if you know what I mean 0-o

Carol Great review of great book Melissa. Plan to read again!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Carol :-). I agree, this is definitely a re read!

message 19: by Dana (new)

Dana Eveyone loves this, I should pick it up.

message 20: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I haven't read this yet either. I must get to it soon!! Great review :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Dana wrote: "Eveyone loves this, I should pick it up."

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Deanna wrote: "I haven't read this yet either. I must get to it soon!! Great review :)"

You have to get to it. I think you will love it. I hope you do anyway :-). And thank you !

Hayat lovely review, Melissa! I'm so glad you've enjoyed this beautiful book. I took a chance on it back in 2012 and it was one of the best and most memorable book I've read in a long time.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Hayat! I never even knew about this book until I bought it a few months ago. I thought it was new the way people were reading it but I'm wondering now if it was because the second one was coming out? I don't think I want to read the sequel because it just won't be the same and I haven't heard great things about that one :-(

Hayat Melissa wrote: "Thank you Hayat! I never even knew about this book until I bought it a few months ago. I thought it was new the way people were reading it but I'm wondering now if it was because the second one was..."

There is a sequel?! I had no idea and You are right, I can't imagine reading it without you know who. This story is a masterpiece, it should not be replicated/continued otherwise things might go very wrong.

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana Melissa wrote: "Dana wrote: "Eveyone loves this, I should pick it up."

I wish you would Dana. I would like to see if you like it. I really wasn't sure I would but it blew me away!"

The sequel for this is on netgalley right now.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Hayat wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Thank you Hayat! I never even knew about this book until I bought it a few months ago. I thought it was new the way people were reading it but I'm wondering now if it was because th..."

Yes I read all of the spoilers about the sequel and not so good reviews. I don't think I want to ruin the first book :-(

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Dana wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Dana wrote: "Eveyone loves this, I should pick it up."

The sequel for..."

I think I'm going to leave it at the first one. If I ever change my mind, they have it at my library but I don't think I will :-(

Linda Did you ever see the TV show Parenthood? I envisioned the free-spirited, quirky daughter (actress Mae Whitman) playing Lou in the movie -- but they made the character into a much more conventional person, which was disappointing. The book was so much better than the film, as usual.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I enjoyed the show, Parenthood!

And I actually loved the movie of this book because of the actress that played Lou :-). Either way, they both made me cry :-/