Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Journey That Saved Curious George : The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey

The Journey That Saved Curious George  by Louise Borden
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey That Saved Curious George .

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I certainly do remember the Curious George books!

message 9: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "I certainly do remember the Curious George books!"

I loved them when I was a kid. When I looked at them as an adult I was appalled, but I think kids still like them.

message 8: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I guess I should pull out the book again and see what I think now!

message 7: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Chrissie, I'd be curious what you think. Gosh I loved those books as a kid, now I think they're awful. Ditto the Bobbsey Twins and other childhood favorites. The latter is racist and has so many other problems I didn't see at the time. *sigh*

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Dec 12, 2010 10:15PM) (new) - added it

Chrissie I would have to say that most literature, not just kids, becomes dated. Think of Little Black Sambo! Nevertheless, I do not think parents were pushing a racist pov. There is alot more involved in how parents teach their children. Black Sambo was just a fairytale, nothing more.

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Chrissie, I agree entirely. My parents were not racist though I'm shocked at how many of our books were that and, yes, dated in many ways. When I get discouraged about how things are going in the world, it does help to see that some positive progress has been made too.

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Definitely progress has been made! Nevertheless I believe the human race has in it the germ for survival. This can lead to terrible behavior. I think it is in our nature, unfortunately. But if the species doesn't survive? MAYBE with time we will evolve into something that can be kind and intelligent and able to survive. All in one. It is just that bad things in history keep repeating themselves. Some people direct all their intersts toward modern day issues, economics and politics. I get so depressed, that I find it easier to retreat into history. Both the press and the futility of it all puts me in the darkest doldrums. Don't get me started on what I think of the press and news coverage!

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Oh, Chrissie, I can tell we'd have some great conversations. I'm with you on our species and definitely on the press/news coverage. We're a weird species, that's for sure. Give me dogs any day. ;-)

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Dogs are much better. Thank God they love us!!!!!

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan They sure do, and I love them. Yay for Oscar and others like him!