Erin's Reviews > My Paris Dream: An Education in Style, Slang, and Seduction in the Great City on the Seine

My Paris Dream by Kate Betts

19767715

it was ok

Ugh. I didn't think it was possible for someone to be as ungrateful as the author is in recounting a generous life in Manhattan, Princeton, Paris, and Vogue. For being the former editor-in-chief of Harper's Bazaar, hustling at WWD and being personally offered a job at Vogue by Anna Wintour herself, the author spends most of the book rehashing her disdain for fashion, telling us how silly and useless it is, when all along all she really wanted was to be a Real Journalist doing Real Work, but instead deigned to float around the best fashion houses in Paris writing for one of the biggest and most influential publications in the industry. She's Anne Hathaway's character in "The Devil Wears Prada" only she's still to happy to name drop left and right, including mentioning that Karl Lagerfeld always sends her flowers from the fanciest fleuriste in Paris whenever she returns to the city. She's never once gracious or grateful. Legacy at Princeton? So hard you guyz, because her parents are divorced and none of her friends are fashionable. Lands a job in Paris at WWD after a move and lifestyle heavily subsidized by her parents? She works long hours traveling in Provence or writing about fancy bottled water at the Ritz! Hashtag struggle. Finds a lovely French boyfriend who supports her career? Excuse you, he dares to vacuum the apartment in his underwear! She breaks up with him, and simultaneously falls out of love with Paris after not being invited to lunch at the Ritz and instead asked to return to the office and do her job, so she quits. Even when she gets everything she wants, it's never good enough. Her sense of entitlement is appalling, and didn't exactly warm me to her. Betts was dealt a very good hand in life, and instead of acknowledging her circumstances and expressing any amount of gratitude or grace, she finds fault in everything. Makes a great editor, but a terrible narrator. 2 stars for all the descriptions of Paris.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Paris Dream.

July 27, 2015 – Started Reading
page 100
July 30, 2015 –
page 135
August 2, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Great review! Thought this sounded interesting but seems a lot like another American-in-Paris memoir that I couldn't force myself to finish (Lunch in Paris) because of the author's snooty attitude and whining about first world problems.

Erin Katie wrote: "Great review! Thought this sounded interesting but seems a lot like another American-in-Paris memoir that I couldn't force myself to finish (Lunch in Paris) because of the author's snooty attitude ..."

Thanks, Katie! I am a sucker for anything Paris-based, but this one was just depressingly boring and whiny.